3rd Regiment Button North Carolina Rev War SC

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys, enclosed pics of a 3rd NC Regiment button dug east of the Edisto, communally to as Camp Pon Pon. Exact dating of this button is unknown, other than Rev War. Only a few example exists. Don list 2 in his book, this is a 3rd unlisted pattern of the A3 NC. this site dates from Jan-March 1782, so the button is 1781-82. Has anyone dug and NC 3's that are site dated? Has anyone seen this version. All help is greatly appreciated....

Attachments

• Edisto River Ponpon Camp 3rd NC.jpg
    Edisto River Ponpon Camp 3rd NC.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 395
  • NC3c.jpg
    NC3c.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • nc reverse.jpg
    nc reverse.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,095
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a very general outline of the use of American Marked buttons during the Revolution. IN 1775, there basically were no marked buttons. After the 2nd Continental Congress gave us the Declaration of Independence in 1776, some of the buttons of the Continental line were marked. The first use would probably have been the "USA" buttons in very late 1776 or early 1777. There is one variety of "USA" button with a 1777 on it. At the time of Valley Forge, winter 1777 after the disaster at the Brandywine, the Continental line regiments began marking their buttons with 1, 2, 3, etc. At that time Pennsylvania also started marking buttons, with a ""P" and other types. In 1778 the turrett style numbered buttons were first imported from the French and most buttons started to being marked 1778-1780. We imported quite a few from the French. In 1781 -1782, that's when the distinctiveness of the individual regiments started to be made known. I think most of the specialty buttons were being made at that time. Remember, the war did not end until 1783.

I don't believe many records of the orders for the manufacture of the buttons has ever been found. Some buttons were camp made. Numerous button molds have been found, especially in NY State in camps used by northern troops. There are records of deserters that have been compiled into books, and their descriptions are detailed, including buttons. Interesting read, but most troops deserted and no mention is made of the buttons, with the exception of color and a few numbered buttons.

AND that button is absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Tentis, This is a wonderful find. You can see it pictured in the book, Buttons of the American Revolution. These buttons are usually found near Charleston, SC as the 3rd Regt was captured by the British there. My 4-grandfather was in NC 3rd Regt as a sergeant. He became a POW until the end of the war, so we have no family momentos (unlike others who brought home guns, etc.). I would love to talk to you more about it. I would love to have one. [email protected] Thanks.

OP
OP
nchistory

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dear Tentis, This is a wonderful find. You can see it pictured in the book, Buttons of the American Revolution. These buttons are usually found near Charleston, SC as the 3rd Regt was captured by the British there. My 4-grandfather was in NC 3rd Regt as a sergeant. He became a POW until the end of the war, so we have no family momentos (unlike others who brought home guns, etc.). I would love to talk to you more about it. I would love to have one. [email protected] Thanks.

My 3rd Regt. NC was recovered in Charleston County, yet Camp Pon Pon, being the 2nd organization of 3rd NC, after their capture.

OP
OP
nchistory

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also my 3rd NC is not listed as it has serif fonts, and convex.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread