Old Buttons

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I have a chance to purchase some old buttons that were dug in the Vermont / New York area. Most are in rough shape with chips and pieces missing from the rims but inside symbols are quite readable on most. One that's is in the best condition says American with I in circle with crown above it. Does any one know anything about that button or time period? Others include RP with crown, 16 inside braided circle, 23 inside circle, 2 inside circle with American, there was about 6 more that had symbols that I wanted to check with a mag glass. He wants 35.00 a button but like I said these are in rough shape. I would like to own a couple because they were found here in the northeast were I live.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. I love to see revolutionary relics of all kinds and hear the history. There is still a 2 American and a 1 American button left that I havn't purchased. Their condition is much like the small RP button I have shown. readable with broken and chipped edges. In this poor condition are these worth buying at 30.00 a piece?

Buy them! The RP is still worth $30 in poor condition, the 1st and 2nd American are a much better button. You can't lose at that price.

Buttonbandit

Oct 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 years ago the market was still very weak and nowhere what it was 12-15 years ago. I'd agree $1,500 back in the day for a great example because I was around and paying very close to attention what values Loyalist buttons were getting because I digging many of them, and had a friend who probably found more than anyone else, even to this day.... and just that guy took a severe bite out of the rarity of the 3rd Americans just in one single hunt on a fresh water beach. I've been out of a loop the last few years which is the only time since 1999 so I don't have a great deal of confidence where the market is now, but I just don't believe those numbers even though I would really like to. What else I don't know is how many of these are turning up now because I no longer keep in touch with diggers from the area where the majority were being found. All that said, I'm doing some short daily hunts with a visitor and would dearly love to find a button, but it's near impossible to find a site to have a chance. Still lots of time to go but damn it's tough.

PS: I can't end this without saying maybe we'll disagree on the values a bit, and that's normal because there is no such thing as reference material that shows what these are worth... but it's good to see you appreciate the Loyalist buttons. Many don't seem to realize the more historical connection they have and just think of them as the other side like the British.

I'm a bit late for this conversation but I know a fellow who killed the rarity of the 3rd American again. I hope the buddy who started this post picked up that 1st American for $30 because it's easily worth $750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit late for this conversation but I know a fellow who killed the rarity of the 3rd American again. I hope the buddy who started this post picked up that 1st American for $30 because it's easily worth $750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As do I... but keeping in mind they were only getting half the price this time around... which was actually pretty good considering.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread