Old Buttons

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I have a chance to purchase some old buttons that were dug in the Vermont / New York area. Most are in rough shape with chips and pieces missing from the rims but inside symbols are quite readable on most. One that's is in the best condition says American with I in circle with crown above it. Does any one know anything about that button or time period? Others include RP with crown, 16 inside braided circle, 23 inside circle, 2 inside circle with American, there was about 6 more that had symbols that I wanted to check with a mag glass. He wants 35.00 a button but like I said these are in rough shape. I would like to own a couple because they were found here in the northeast were I live.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Here's a pic of one of the better condition buttons.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 524

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of one of the better condition buttons.

Damn! I hope you didn't miss out on this deal! Buy them all!!!!!!!!!!!! AND FAST! (I'm not joking) That one alone most likely pays for them all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks. Some of the rough condition ones.

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    573.6 KB · Views: 348

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi undertaker; Don't get screwed over here. The first button you showed is a 2 piece button from the 1920's at best. It's worth about .25. Now on the second set of pictures you show a button with the #16 on it. THAT is a ONE PIECE Continental Army Regimental Button. Although somewhat rare it does NT approach the $35 mark because of it's condition. It's a $10 button at best. In COMPLETE condition that would be worth $200 easy. It's NOT. On the other buttons I see, yes they are ONE PIECE Buttons. Thing is they are in such poor condition that it negates ANY value at all ok. I hope this sets you straight. I'll answer any other questions you may have. PEACE:RONB

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi undertaker; Don't get screwed over here. The first button you showed is a 2 piece button from the 1920's at best. It's worth about .25. Now on the second set of pictures you show a button with the #16 on it. THAT is a ONE PIECE Continental Army Regimental Button. Although somewhat rare it does NT approach the $35 mark because of it's condition. It's a $10 button at best. In COMPLETE condition that would be worth $200 easy. It's NOT. On the other buttons I see, yes they are ONE PIECE Buttons. Thing is they are in such poor condition that it negates ANY value at all ok. I hope this sets you straight. I'll answer any other questions you may have. PEACE:RONB

Sorry, but you really need to stop posting about things you clearly have no idea about. The first button is a very good example of a Rev War Loyalist Queens Rangers/ 1st American. It is easily worth a few hundred dollars. Even the 2nd American in the picture has some value even though it's not as good. There's also a 3rd American and Loyalist RP button... also have some value even though the condition is only so so. And finally the 16th is Rev War British and definitely not Continental Army.

Undertaker... the lowest value button is the RP... and even it's worth $35! The Rest are worth more, and as I've said twice now that 1st American is a good button with some decent value. If you don't want to buy them please give me the sellers contact info as I will pay him more than $35 a button.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Iron Patch-he is an expert when it comes to 18th century buttons particularly Rev War buttons-seriously.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I just don't want to see anyone screwed over. I did not have my books with me when I posted so I posted what I believed to be true; not mislead in any way. PEACE:RONB

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything I see is Revolutionary War period. I'd buy them. Right now British buttons are at a low, but the Loyalist buttons will make up for it. The 16 is a 16th Regiment of foot, The RP is a Royal Provincial. Now the little 3 is interesting and could be American. Can't tell by the pic. If it is, it's a very early 3rd Regiment, Continental Line. A Rarity indeed. Here's an easy way to tell.

On the British buttons which were made in England, if you look at the back, there is a round blob of metal with an iron loop coming out of it for a shank. Of course lots of times the iron is gone. the American pewter buttons had an integral
cast in loop shank. the Loyalist buttons also were made like the Americans, for the most part. Some of the very early American buttons had plain numbers on them but they will ALWAYS have plain hook shanks.

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
A few more pics. I did purchase some for $30 each but still have three more that I'm interested in buying in the near future. The last pic of 3 in plain circle is a 23. I'm quite sure.

Attachments

• IMG_8162.JPG
    IMG_8162.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_8148.JPG
    IMG_8148.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_8144.JPG
    IMG_8144.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_8141.JPG
    IMG_8141.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_8136.JPG
    IMG_8136.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_8154.JPG
    IMG_8154.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 256

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might only come in around break even on the 23rd and two RPs, it's the Queen Rangers you'll make the profit. It's hard to say what to do on the others without seeing the pictures... but $30 is usually a good gamble on Rev War, and an excellent gamble considering the seller priced the 1st American the same... because doing that you know he does not know what he has.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not be deceived. The 1st American is a $1000 button, easy.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid over $1k for mine.

But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll get that just because you paid it.... unless you want to buy this one too. That said, I hope he does, and values took a good bounce back.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best bet it to put in on Ebay, with a reserve. Right now the markets are down for a lot of collectibles. The same Civil War coat I saw for sale 2 years ago at $3000 is now $2100. My button, 1st American, would have been $1500 4 years ago.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st American, would have been $1500 4 years ago.

4 years ago the market was still very weak and nowhere what it was 12-15 years ago. I'd agree $1,500 back in the day for a great example because I was around and paying very close to attention what values Loyalist buttons were getting because I digging many of them, and had a friend who probably found more than anyone else, even to this day.... and just that guy took a severe bite out of the rarity of the 3rd Americans just in one single hunt on a fresh water beach. I've been out of a loop the last few years which is the only time since 1999 so I don't have a great deal of confidence where the market is now, but I just don't believe those numbers even though I would really like to. What else I don't know is how many of these are turning up now because I no longer keep in touch with diggers from the area where the majority were being found. All that said, I'm doing some short daily hunts with a visitor and would dearly love to find a button, but it's near impossible to find a site to have a chance. Still lots of time to go but damn it's tough.

PS: I can't end this without saying maybe we'll disagree on the values a bit, and that's normal because there is no such thing as reference material that shows what these are worth... but it's good to see you appreciate the Loyalist buttons. Many don't seem to realize the more historical connection they have and just think of them as the other side like the British.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the 1st American, last Saturday I visited my daughter on Long Island, and we took a side trip to the town of Setauket. Visited the old church and graveyard there. That's where the real Abraham Woodhull is buried who was one of Washington's spies. The Queen's Rangers were all over that place during the war. Was a nice visit. You can almost still hear the horses' hoofs, over the din of the car engines.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can almost still hear the horses' hoofs, over the din of the car engines.

I have hunted many settlement sites that have given up multiple Loyalists buttons and I don't hear them, but see them. The first good Rev war area I hunted goes right back to the first year I started detecting, and even though I don't find too much there anymore, I still enjoy the walk around, both for the thoughts about the soldiers that once settled, but also my memories of all the great finds I dug from there years ago. There was three sites in three fields and each one was fantastic and it's quite a list I could make of all the good stuff that came out. I didn't really realize at the time how good it was, but I know think of it as the gold standard of what a great early site is in my area. I've been on many great sites since, and dug equally good finds, but the combination of being new to the hobby and hunting those first early locations I can only describe as being euphoric. I'm now sort of like the heroine addict who keeps looking for that same incredible high as the first few times but can't quite get there. But it's still a great fix. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread