Patriotic Rev War watch winder featuring Louis XVI's and Marie Antoinette's bust

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ROYAL Rev War watch winder featuring Louis XVI's and Marie Antoinette's bust

Royal Revolutionary War watch winder with Louis XVI's bust who was King of France in 1781!!

When I dug this little piece of brass this morning I didn't really think too much of it. I returned to my newly found Revolutionary War site where I found the escutcheon from a Brown Bess and two buttons from the Bearn regiment ( a coat and a cuff 8) last week. I had just found a pinwheel rosette when not more than a few feet I got the slightest of a reading. Digging down about 8 inches I was surprised to see what looked like the top of a key. I found a few more musket balls and then I left because I had to do some yard work. Once I got home I cleaned the tiny relic and suddenly I was looking at a bust of a man facing to the right. Not only that I also saw the Roman numerals XVI!!! You can tell the man is wearing a wig and is dressed in a uniform or regalia. I immediately posted my find and was astonished when the bust was indeed confirmed as Louis XVI, who was the King of France during the American Revolution! It was indeed identified as a French royal watch winder!!! Most everything found at this site has been early Revolutionary War period. I can only surmise that this watch winder key was owned by a French soldier of high rank and lost either right before the Battle of Yorktown in October of 1781 or up to a year thereafter, as many French soldiers stayed for an additional year before they returned home. As I said everything I have found at this site has been Revolutionary War except for 1 eagle button and some modern trash and coins. Of course a French citizen or immigrant could have been walking in this area at a later date in the 1800's and lost it but I find that highly unlikely. Addendum: Just finished cleaning the back of my watch winder key and even though the detail is not as good as the front ....the back has the bust of a woman. It is indeed Marie Antoinette...Queen of France during the American Revolution!!! Just saw a button portraying both King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette on a button in Marian Hurley's book "A Guide to French Military Buttons of the American Revolution 1775 to 1783 " and it is an EXACT match!!!! For those who have this book it is on page 65. She is looking to the left instead of the right but the slender face, eyes, and long hair worn down all match!!! Wow!I am pretty confident this was lost in 1781 to 1782. I am glad the end of August is nearing and with the Fall and cooler temperatures, a new season of relic hunting will be here. I hope those on here who like relics appreciate this post. I had contemplated stopping to post my finds but I decided I would continue for those who like them. Historically I think it might be in the top 3 things I have ever found. It was no doubt a prized possession of a French officer featuring nobility. Having lived in Yorktown all my life this relic means more to me than you know! HH Devonrex​

Attachments

• Rev War Watch winder.jpg
    Rev War Watch winder.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Louis XVI.jpg
    Louis XVI.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Mary Antoinette.jpg
    Mary Antoinette.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 157
  • RevWar.JPG
    RevWar.JPG
    409.6 KB · Views: 227
  • Watchwinder.jpg
    Watchwinder.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW.. I was impressed with this yesterday... I'm really impressed with the complete story.

Congrats on an epic find from our history.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a better picture of the obverse showing Louis XVI and the reverse showing Marie Antoinette. The reverse is a little more worn and lacking details as it was facing up when found. If you look close you can see a broach on her gown and the fabric around her neck.

Attachments

• 2016_08230058.JPG
    2016_08230058.JPG
    608.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 14125717_10202192942462786_8230309281412288152_o.jpg
    14125717_10202192942462786_8230309281412288152_o.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Insane find Devonrex. Doesn't get much cooler than that. Though that site sounds like it might have more surprises for you. Good luck!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Royal French watch winder I found in my French Revolutionary War site with King Louis XVI on one side and Marie Antoinette on the other. It had been said this might be a watch winder that was made at the end of the Georgian period (1740 - 1820). Many may not know this but King Louis XVI tried to recoup the money that was spent funding the American Revolution by raising taxes. The French citizens were not happy about this and many other royal decisions. This culminated in the French Revolution where Louis was arrested and thrown in the stockade. He was tried and found guilty and sentenced to death. He was beheaded by the guillotine in 1793. After this Louis wasn't thought of too highly by the French people. They would therefore, in my mind, have not made a watch winder commemorating his marriage to Marie Antoinette after his death. This undoubtedly had to have been made before his execution and carried by a French officer who fought at Yorktown who lost it in 1791 or 1792 in the campsite I found. I'm also wondering if King Louis might have given a watch with its winder to an officer........ possibly a young 19 year old officer named Lafayette, whom he had promoted to General of his entire army! :) Hey, this is in the realm of possibility! I can dream big.... can't I??????? Now I just have to find the gold watch!Here is a French medal commemorating the beheading of Louis XVI in 1793. Anyone else have any opinions on this artifact?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 142
  • ghigliottina.jpg
    ghigliottina.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! NEVER stop posting, LOVE your finds and stories!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just signed up to England's Portable Antiquities Scheme, www.finds.org.uk.Under excavated watch winders, this example was pictured with this identification. An incomplete cast copper alloy winder from a pocket watch. The central swivel is a trefoil shape, with a circular loop at the top. The arm is an irregular floral shape with a vertical support protruding below. There is a cast floral design all over. It is in a fair condition, with a reddish patina. Watch winders have been discussed by Gordon Bailey, Detector Finds 2, Greenlight Publishing, Witham, 1993, page 26-7. He shows examples similar to this but decorated with the heads of George II and Queen Caroline (1727-1737) showing that they are 18th century. 37.03mm L x 22.78mm H 2.51g
Created on: Wednesday 9th February 2011
Last updated: Wednesday 17th December 2014 So this basically proves that this indeed is most definitely 18th century!!! And others have been found with busts as well! So far I can find NONE with Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Wow!!! Devonrex

Attachments

• KENT2AB321.jpg
    KENT2AB321.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 132
  • 14125717_10202192942462786_8230309281412288152_o.jpg
    14125717_10202192942462786_8230309281412288152_o.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! NEVER stop posting, LOVE your finds and stories!
Thanks Rebel. By the way I like that name. When I'mnot hunting Rev War artifacts I'm definitely looking for rebel relics! Devonrex

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Insane find Devonrex. Doesn't get much cooler than that. Though that site sounds like it might have more surprises for you. Good luck!
Thanks Jeff! No it doesn't!!! HH Devonrex

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread