Swamp Fox camp/Battle site

54bogger

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hunting a property that was gone over by archaeologists in 2008 and was deemed to be a camp and battle site of Francis Marion.
It's a cornfield now and I've found a few relics they left behind.

DSC03364.JPG

Upvote 5

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recoveries. He was a true American patriot who may well have influenced the outcome of the Revolution by forcing Cornwallis to leave British troops in SC instead of heading north to take on George Washington.
HH
dts

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool old relics but no real way to connect them to any one person or event. Swamp Fox has been way over rated by film. Like many people I had thought that Marion was responsible for winning the battle of Cowpens since that was in a movie and TV series. I went to the Cowpens National Battlefield site and he is barely mentioned there and had no real impact on that battle. History can really be misleading if one follows movies and TV, they were made for entertainment rather than fact. Sure, he was a patriot, but he was a relatively minor player in real life and true history.

OP
OP

54bogger

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about movies being misleading but I'm relying on the archaeologists from here in S.C.

OP
OP

54bogger

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more find's from the cornfield...
Notice the musket ball on the bottom right,a .75 caliber and the one above it is .69 caliber. The three remaining balls are from the buck & ball shot. I've hunted maybe 25% of the field so far,can't wait to see what else I find.

BTW- The 2 balls bottom left are fired .69cal balls.

Attachments

• DSC03377.JPG
    DSC03377.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
OP
OP

54bogger

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE;

While hunting this small harvested corn field Wednesday at apprx.12 noon I was shot by a hunter claiming he thought that I was a hog.
He rushed me to the ER saying he was so sorry for shooting me while on the way. I was shot with a bolt action rifle chambered in .223.
I was hit in the back of my right arm breaking the humorous bone(the big bone between the shoulder and the elbow).
The bullet fragmented on impact,my arm & shoulder were swelled to much for them to dig out the fragments at the time so I have to go back this Friday to have it cleaned out. METAL DETECTING AIN'T FOR SISSY'S!! LOL DSC03387.JPG DSC03386.JPG

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Get well soon.

I don’t know what to say.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
54bogger, so sorry to hear about your wound while relic hunting. 3 Things: 1) I wish you a Speedy and Full recovery so you can return to swinging the coil. 2) I hope the hunter has insurance and does right by you regarding this accident, and 3) I hope in the future that this hunter has a full view and ID of his target in his sights before he pulls the trigger. This could have been much worse, but I'm glad it wasn't.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Cr4p! You are lucky to be alive! At least you can joke with the surgeon and offer the use of your MDr to find bullet fragments. I hope you recover quickly and this is a chilling reminder to all MDrs that during hunting season that it's best to wear flourescent yellow or orange clothing. Too many people out there who are too quick on the trigger. I'm glad it wasn't a little lower to the left.
HH
dts

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool old relics but no real way to connect them to any one person or event. Swamp Fox has been way over rated by film. Like many people I had thought that Marion was responsible for winning the battle of Cowpens since that was in a movie and TV series. I went to the Cowpens National Battlefield site and he is barely mentioned there and had no real impact on that battle. History can really be misleading if one follows movies and TV, they were made for entertainment rather than fact. Sure, he was a patriot, but he was a relatively minor player in real life and true history.

I respectfully disagree with your assesment of Marion. His tactics effectively bogged down the British plan to move their army northward to meet and destroy Washington's forces. He was also not as politically connected as some others in that theater of the war and, as usual, the laurels go to those with the most influence (and the most imaginative after-action reports). I agree that the movies and TV have embellished his personna to a large extent but the documented accounts clearly reflect his contributions to the cause.
Here is a great reference source and a very enjoyable read as well:

The Swamp Fox John Oller - Da Capo Press 2016

HH
dts

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunter should have to go back to hunters safety course. You never shoot something you can't 100 percent verify what it is! Glad he was a crappy shot.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAMN!! You are one lucky dude! I have to say a Gun Shot wound beats any of the cuts, blisters, bug stings and snake bites that normally get posted here! You found some really nice relics, I hope you can get back to that site soon and welcome to the forum:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP

54bogger

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the well wishes, I was in the process of digging out a burn pile in which I had just found 4 pieces of a broken pipe stem when POW!!
I want to go back and try and find the pipe bowl but that appears to be on hold for a bit.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's wishing you a quick turn around hunt to the site and hopefully find that pipe bowl bogger.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I’m ever shot by a hunter, they better hope they kill me

OP
OP

54bogger

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the dr. Monday and they want to give the bone in my arm another 3wks to heal before going in to try and remove the bullet fragments. Man this getting shot stuff SUCKS!! It looks like it will be next year before I get back out detecting.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there dude , invest in a orange hat. the shooter should lose his license and I hope he is paying your doc bills

OP
OP

54bogger

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if a orange hat or vest would have helped, apparently me wearing bluejeans and a baseball cap is what the hogs wear in that area.
He will be paying for more than just the dr. bills.

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man...I had chills after seeing the pictures. So happy to read you are recovering. Good luck! I'm gun shy and only hunt in town during deer season. I would have never thought about being mistaken for a hog..though I probably grunt like one when I'm digging. I get the part about wearing orange, but I really don't want to be seen. Sites are too hard to come by....... I know safety first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread