Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This round ball is different then all my other round balls it’s brown with a crude line around it with a short steam cut off. I doesn’t stick to a magnet and measures at roughly.55 inches, 251 grains weight. It’s was found at a Colonial era fort. The first small fort here was erected by the French in 1701, before the founding of the city of New Orleans. After Louisiana passed to Spanish control, a larger brick fort was constructed at the site of the old neglected French fortification. Louisiana passed it back to France and then to the hands of the United States. The fort was decommissioned in 1823.

My question is, is this a Revolutionary round ball from early 1799’s? I’ve also found a French Infantry Button and a 24 pounder Howitzer Canister Ball in this exact location. Thanks for the input.[emoji1317] IMG_2436.jpg IMG_2437.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

Some of the other few things I’ve found here IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1165.jpg IMG_1166.jpg IMG_2441.jpg

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Great finds! Wondering if your musket ball could be pewter? It definitely looks old.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Actually they were frequently used in a pinch, as stated below.

Pewter musket ball

You may not realize that the last battle of the American Revolution was fought in Washington County. A group of 100 Shawnee warriors attacked Rice’s Fort in September 1784. This force was sent under the orders of Capt. Bradt of Buttler’s Rangers. The Rangers were a British regiment that fought with the Shawnee in the West during the American Revolution. After a failed attack at Fort Henry, Bradt sent 100 warriors to attack outposts along the frontier. On Sept. 14, the warriors arrived at Rice’s Fort and attacked. The men, women and children who were in the area ran for the fort. Six men – Jacob Miller, George Lefler, Peter Fullenweider, Daniel Rice, George Felebaum and Jacob Lefler Jr. – made it to the fort. As the day wore on, the defenders of the fort began to run low on their supply of lead. George Felebaum’s wife began fashioning musket balls from pewter utensils for the men to fire from their muskets. Although more brittle than those made of lead, the pewter musket balls were sufficient and helped the men to successfully defend the fort.

They are harder than lead and would shatter on a hard surface but did well on flesh :violent1:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find pistol balls and musketballs with both while and brown patina....depends on the soil where I dig it. Love that button, is that a letter or regiment button?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually they were frequently used in a pinch, as stated below.

Pewter musket ball

You may not realize that the last battle of the American Revolution was fought in Washington County. A group of 100 Shawnee warriors attacked Rice’s Fort in September 1784. This force was sent under the orders of Capt. Bradt of Buttler’s Rangers. The Rangers were a British regiment that fought with the Shawnee in the West during the American Revolution. After a failed attack at Fort Henry, Bradt sent 100 warriors to attack outposts along the frontier. On Sept. 14, the warriors arrived at Rice’s Fort and attacked. The men, women and children who were in the area ran for the fort. Six men – Jacob Miller, George Lefler, Peter Fullenweider, Daniel Rice, George Felebaum and Jacob Lefler Jr. – made it to the fort. As the day wore on, the defenders of the fort began to run low on their supply of lead. George Felebaum’s wife began fashioning musket balls from pewter utensils for the men to fire from their muskets. Although more brittle than those made of lead, the pewter musket balls were sufficient and helped the men to successfully defend the fort.

They are harder than lead and would shatter on a hard surface but did well on flesh :violent1:

Then I think this might be one!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, that type of musket ball can come in numerous colors, it just depends on where it was found. In Eastern US soils that are planted, they generally come out white. In New England, a lot of places they come out a more gray color like yours is. A lot of the red clays and pine forests can produce reddish musket balls. Gray ones also come out where there is grey soils or clays underneath, so the color doesn't matter a lot.

That being said, it is hand cast, and could date anywhere from 1650 to 1850 or even later. If found near the "I" button, then I'd date it to about the War of 1812 period.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, that type of musket ball can come in numerous colors, it just depends on where it was found. In Eastern US soils that are planted, they generally come out white. In New England, a lot of places they come out a more gray color like yours is. A lot of the red clays and pine forests can produce reddish musket balls. Gray ones also come out where there is grey soils or clays underneath, so the color doesn't matter a lot.

That being said, it is hand cast, and could date anywhere from 1650 to 1850 or even later. If found near the "I" button, then I'd date it to about the War of 1812 period.

Thank you smokey that good enough for me. What would you say it’s make of because it’s differently not lead?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is probably lead. Pewter coming out of the ground tends to flake badly, especially pewter that old.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found over 1000 musket balls - different shades of grey - white - brown - black
I have found some that were flaking too - not all lead is 100% the same - down south has different minor minerals than that found in mines up here
in New England leads -
Like others have said - they may have been running low on their regular supply and threw in whatever they could find to make whatever they could
Pewter canon balls have been found in NY around Rev war sites too

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find Brother!!! Wish things would slow down here at work and I can get back out there with you!!! "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread