Need opinion if my Axe is Revolutionary War era?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found at a 1700-1800’s Rev Fort IMG_2724.jpg IMG_2723.jpg IMG_2729.jpg IMG_2726.jpg IMG_2730.jpg IMG_2727.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were used about 100 years, so it will be near impossible to tell for sure. It was probably brought to your area after the Revolution by a settler. My great whatever grandfather moved to Mississippi after serving in the Georgia Continental Line. My best guess is yes, but not actually used in your area but brought in later. It's a great find. I found a rev war ax in Kansas City at an antique store. Same story, a settler brought it west.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course it could be OLDER than the Revolution. And again, a settler brought it down south. They were used during the French and Indian war period also.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course it could be OLDER than the Revolution. And again, a settler brought it down south. They were used during the French and Indian war period also.

“The first small fort here was erected by the French in 1701, before the founding of the city of New Orleans, to protect the important trade route along Bayou St. John. After Louisiana passed to Spanish control, a larger brick fort was constructed at the site of the neglected old French fortification; this was known as San Juan del Bayou. Louisiana passed back to France and then to the hands of the United States. The fort was decommissioned in 1823.”

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey buddy, once again thats awesome find, especially on a site we've hammered so hard, so Congrats!!! As far as it being revolutionary I'd have to agree with Smokey. to me it certainly looks like those during that time, if not mistaking it's similar to the ones used by Mel Gibson in the movie "Patriot", again Congrats brother... "D"

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy, once again thats awesome find, especially on a site we've hammered so hard, so Congrats!!! As far as it being revolutionary I'd have to agree with Smokey. to me it certainly looks like those during that time, if not mistaking it's similar to the ones used by Mel Gibson in the movie "Patriot", again Congrats brother... "D"

Thanks brotha I found it in the square of the Fort in those shells. I’m telling you I think there’s more in those shells it’s just hard digging for sure especially in this heat. IMG_2735.jpg IMG_2736.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread