Researching an engraved Revolutionary War powder horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUhills

Greenie
Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm always searching for different treasures whether it's digging them from the ground or browsing the local classifieds and I've just acquired something I'm pretty excited about. This powder horn is to date the most fascinating Revolutionary War artifact I've come across and my reason for posting it is I want to find out as much as possible about it. I am particularly interested in finding out more about the individual that engraved and carried this horn during the war. My expertise on Revolutionary War artifacts is limited and google searching the name engraved in the horn hasn't been as productive as I had hoped. Any input is much appreciated!
P1010029.JPG P1010024.JPG

P1010039.JPG P1010040.JPG

P1010041.JPG P1010042.JPG

P1010043.JPG P1010044.JPG

P1010045.JPG P1010046.JPG

P1010047.JPG P1010049.JPG

P1010050.JPG P1010055.JPG

P1010056.JPG

Attachments

• P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
  • P1010048.JPG
    P1010048.JPG
    358.8 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thing that bothers me is that most of it is beautifully carved, but the name and date look like chicken scratch. Ruins the whole look of the piece. Just my ignorant opinion!

Source of horn might factor.
There were/are known horn makers.

A custom built rifle could be attended with accouterments. Bullet mold for one. A shooting bag and horn could come with it too...

I'm more interested in the British/English association. In particular , how often were powderhorns carried by the British at the time?
That does not mean it was not a war prize. Or a gift. Or...came with an arm purchased.

Secondary scrimshaw/engraving would not alarm me.
Adding personal embellishment on a horn someone else made would be nothing new.
It's an art. A inexperienced hands show.

I had a custom horn come with a custom rifle.
I had the horn maker initial it after.
That does not insure it will not be mistaken for an older horn , but a researcher in the region looking into the right places/people should figure it out.

The old horns I've handled were no museum pieces. They don't fare well if not cared for...

One example of secondhand owners scratching was the alleged "Ye damn Reb did make ye fine horn(e)" on one. Or , was it ye damn Yank?:laughing7:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit concerned that my historian contact hasn't responded to my mails... not even an acknowledgement. I'll keep trying (I only have an email route for reaching him) and hope that he's not in ill health from the current situation.

His information may come to nothing, but at least we'll hopefully know whether or not the the Serjeant McAllister of the 17th was or wasn't a 'W' McAllister.

I have one other potential lead on a McAllister (American, not British) but I'm keeping my powder dry, as it were, on that information until I get a more positive indication from some genealogy research. Until then, it looks like a long shot, but with some curious coincidences.

I'm staying out of the mud-slinging. If I can help, I certainly will.

OP
OP
A

AUhills

Greenie
Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little update, still waiting on the UK national archives to open up to where we can request a copy of these 2 records that will have Serjt McAllister's (British 17th regiment of foot) full name and additional information hopefully in them. To any of the remaining pessimists that didn't read the whole thread before posting it's not a question of authenticity anymore now it's just trying to determine exactly who is the man named on the horn and what story the inscriptions themselves tell. This piece really is an amazing window into history.

Heres the records I'm trying to get a copy of:
17th Foot 1st Battalion | The National Archives

Unfortunately right now you can only schedule to view the records in person but can't order a copy yet, hopefully this will be updated soon. Right now though all evidence is pointing to this Serjt McAllister with the 17th, even the historians that authenticated the piece believe almost beyond a reasonable doubt it will be verified to be his but this whole covid thing sure is throwing a hitch in that part of the research. I'm not in a hurry to sell it though and I won't pass it on until I've uncovered the story on this Serjt W. McAllister. In the meantime though I've had fun researching other similar powder horns from the period and here is an interesting article that yall might enjoy reading, it has a very similar powder horn with a map on it. Maps were a relatively common artwork on soldiers powder horns of the period and they were not only just for decoration but could be useful in multiple scenarios as well. https://www.mcny.org/story/historical-and-personal-importance-engraved-powder-horns

Something interesting on this powder horn is that Fort Lebanon in Pennsylvania has a notable place. Not to be confused with the town of Lebanon, PA where Fort White was. This is interesting because it was a very small Fort, only 3 buildings, and thought to of only been used in the French & Indian War established in 1755 and abandoned in 1758. No mention of it in the Revolutionary War, and even in the French & Indian war there isn't much documented about it, but here it is on this powder horn right where it is supposed to be beside a tributary of the Schuylkill River. Very neat because now there is documented proof that this fort was used to at-least some extent in the Revolutionary War as well. One historian has even speculated that the map portion of this horn was carved while McAllister was a prisoner of war and the map would of been invaluable to him if he had managed an escape.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little update, still waiting on the UK national archives to open up to where we can request a copy of these 2 records that will have Serjt McAllister's (British 17th regiment of foot) full name and additional information hopefully in them. To any of the remaining pessimists that didn't read the whole thread before posting it's not a question of authenticity anymore now it's just trying to determine exactly who is the man named on the horn and what story the inscriptions themselves tell. This piece really is an amazing window into history.

Heres the records I'm trying to get a copy of:

Unfortunately right now you can only schedule to view the records in person but can't order a copy yet, hopefully this will be updated soon. Right now though all evidence is pointing to this Serjt McAllister with the 17th, even the historians that authenticated the piece believe almost beyond a reasonable doubt it will be verified to be his but this whole covid thing sure is throwing a hitch in that part of the research. I'm not in a hurry to sell it though and I won't pass it on until I've uncovered the story on this Serjt W. McAllister. In the meantime though I've had fun researching other similar powder horns from the period and here is an interesting article that yall might enjoy reading, it has a very similar powder horn with a map on it. Maps were a relatively common artwork on soldiers powder horns of the period and they were not only just for decoration but could be useful in multiple scenarios as well. https://www.mcny.org/story/historical-and-personal-importance-engraved-powder-horns

Something interesting on this powder horn is that Fort Lebanon in Pennsylvania has a notable place. Not to be confused with the town of Lebanon, PA where Fort White was. This is interesting because it was a very small Fort, only 3 buildings, and thought to of only been used in the French & Indian War established in 1755 and abandoned in 1758. No mention of it in the Revolutionary War, and even in the French & Indian war there isn't much documented about it, but here it is on this powder horn right where it is supposed to be beside a tributary of the Schuylkill River. Very neat because now there is documented proof that this fort was used to at-least some extent in the Revolutionary War as well. One historian has even speculated that the map portion of this horn was carved while McAllister was a prisoner of war and the map would of been invaluable to him if he had managed an escape.

who authenticated it? and by what means with what experience/credentials? Did they actually lay hands on/test the item? that information would keep people from questioning you.

OP
OP
A

AUhills

Greenie
Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you are saying, you weren't calling me a liar but others here have and all they had to do was read the posts I had already written. Instead of contributing to the conversation they were calling me a liar and interjecting bs instead of research based on DD. Though I did notice I never came back to clarify after Christies had looked at it in person, my bad for not concluding that part. Red-Coat and others have been especially helpful and contributed though so I appreciate that. Will post more once I finish my research on this Serjt W. McAllister fellow.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auhills is banned, thread closed for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions