Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just watched a program about the park at Valley Forge and it was all about how the place is run down because of lack of funding. Valley Forge is the birthplace of the U.S. military, the first Continental Army was formed there. Last year the combined branches of the U.S. military spent over 900 billion dollars, and never once has any of them donated a single penny for the care and upkeep of their own birthplace.

Upvote 0

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a shame . I have visited Valley Forge and in truth the park itself it is not all that much really to see as say compared to Saratoga or many civil war sites. However Valley Forge is hallowed ground and tragically today our history is in danger of being erased by political correctness and the far left and consequently of little importance to them.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The continental army was already formed by the time they retreated to Valley Forge. They had already fought Bunker Hill, Long Island, Brooklyn, White Plains, and Brandywine before they retreated to Valley Forge which wasn't occupied until the winter of 1777-78. George Washington was made commanding general of the continental army in June 1775 a year and a half before Valley Forge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The continental army before Valley Forge was in name only, they were a bunch of disorganized militias, congress hired Baron Von Steuben to train and organize them into a force to be reckoned with. Valley Forge was the birthplace of the U.S. military and it is a damned shame our military doesn’t lift a finger to preserve it.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up in the area and still live here. I did not see the program the OP mentions, but IMHO, Valley Forge is a magical place.

I was at the ceremony on July 4 1976 when it was converted from a state park to a national park. I've camped there when the
Boy Scouts used to have their jamborees there. Later in life I ran there 5 days a week for 20 years. I know every inch of the
park and there is actually alot to see.

Do not sell it short until you spend some time there. The best time to come is in mid April, when the flowering trees are in
bloom, or in June, when the laurel is in bloom on Mt. Joy. And, IMHO, I think they do a fine job on the military history, but
I'll admit the park is drifting towards a nature, bird watching, photography place as opposed to a military history place, but
there is plenty of the latter. The best place to go for that is Washington's Headquarters, but it is scattered all thru the
park, and the rangers at the visitor's center are quite knowledgeable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread