What kind of minerals/gems are found in Texas?

T

trish76642

I've always wondered what kind of minerals/gems are found in Texas. Does anyone know? I love rocks and have always wondered about that. And where would one find them if they wanted to search?

Of course this has nothing to do with finding minerals or gems in Texas, but my brother has dug up some beautiful huge pieces of petrified wood while doing exclavation work, alot of his pieces have brown crystals in them. I've often wondered while he's digging around in the dirt adding to his collection, what else should he be looking for besides petrified wood & Indian artifacts? He has lots of those too.

Does anyone have any pictures of rocks, minerals, or gems found in Texas and are they worth anything?

Thanks

Trish

OP
OP
T

trish76642

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trish I just got a couple books in so now I am going to go out rock hunting and see what I can find. I probably walked by agates never knowing what they were, now watch I will go out looking for them and won't be able to find any.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

txkickergirl said:
Trish I just got a couple books in so now I am going to go out rock hunting and see what I can find. I probably walked by agates never knowing what they were, now watch I will go out looking for them and won't be able to find any.

aww, i bet you'll find plenty once you figure out what to look for. I've probably walked by a few of them myself and just didnt know it.

What books did you get? Are they any good?

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got roadside geology of Texas, Gem trails of Texas, Rock & Minerals of North America, and Gems Stones visual guide. Ashleen was super nice and sent me the last two books, I just got them tonight but they are all good for different reasons. The Gem Trails break diffferent gems down by area, the roadside geology does too but more indepth giving soil coditions and slopes and such. The 2 Ashleen sent me are great for id purposes they show all the rocks minerals and gems along with descriptions and different cuts and such. I am all set to start finding and Identifying .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

That was nice of Ashleen, your all set now girl!
I'd like to have the Gem Stones visual guide.
Wonder if i can find it on Amazon.
Good luck with your rock hunting! Your gonna
be a pro with all that info!

Upvote 0

mirkaba

Dec 7, 2004
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The other day I was watching Cash and Treasures. That gal was hunting Plume agate on the Woodward Ranch. She found some nice stuff....Kinda like this one ;D Bob

DSCN1591.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions