What kind of minerals/gems are found in Texas?

T

trish76642

I've always wondered what kind of minerals/gems are found in Texas. Does anyone know? I love rocks and have always wondered about that. And where would one find them if they wanted to search?

Of course this has nothing to do with finding minerals or gems in Texas, but my brother has dug up some beautiful huge pieces of petrified wood while doing exclavation work, alot of his pieces have brown crystals in them. I've often wondered while he's digging around in the dirt adding to his collection, what else should he be looking for besides petrified wood & Indian artifacts? He has lots of those too.

Does anyone have any pictures of rocks, minerals, or gems found in Texas and are they worth anything?

Thanks

Trish

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hiya Trish!

I've never rock hounded in TX but have in New Mexico (a great adventure for this Hoosier gal). Anyway, I recommend a couple of books; Gem Trails of Texas and Roadside Geology of Texas.

I have the new Mexico versions and they did come in handy!

HH
Tori

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

There you are! Was wondering where my little Tori went! Missed talking to you!

Thanks for the advice girl! I'll look on Amazon.com and see if i can find those books! I've searched on the internet and i could never find any info. (I was probably searching wrong. :-\)

TTYL8TR :wink:

Upvote 0

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
ohhh Trish YOU'VE been on my mind as I was reading an interesting paper and this is in connection to the chakras, etc... BUT I'll post in that thread soon.

I've been SO busy...and am now on the downside and smoothing it all out:)

I promise ya, those books are a great reference, or starting point!! Keep me posted omn your rock finds. I enjoy rock hounding almost as much as metal detecting!!!

Hope all is well and swell your way!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

Well i just ordered two Roadside Geology of Texas books, one for me and one for my sweet little Daddy. I got one for $2.00 and another one for $4.00! Wanted to order Gem Trails of Texas from Amazon.com but that things kinda expensive! I'll keep searching for a good used one from another websight if i can find one.

Thanks girl! I cant wait to read them!

Looking forward to our conversations :wink:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

aa battery said:
Texas? dat where you live? ::)
Yep thats where i live dbl A. I'm a Texas girl, corn fed and country bred! lol
Almost in the center part of Texas. How you been feeling AA? You ok? I hope so. :wink:

lol...just dawned on me that you knew where i was...gonna have to keep my eye on you. lol :D
forgot Texas is under my dang name! lmao....oh lord AA, your kill'n me!

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
feeling better got all that dope from the hospital out of my system :angel12:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

aa battery said:
feeling better got all that dope from the hospital out of my system :angel12:
Thats great! I kinda figured you were back to your old self when you caught me with my Dbl A guard down! LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

dont appologize Nick honey! what woman doesnt want a sweet little compliment every now and then? lol

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know either until I did a search for Texas gems. Now I really really want one of those star cut topaz in a necklace. It would be a 9hr trip for me but I just might have to go up for a long weekend and do a hunt.

Upvote 0

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Hello all...I live in Texas as well,I have some pics that may help ya out some.
flint & chert..
IMG_0075.jpg

I don't know what this one is..
IMG_9581.jpg

IMG_9582.jpg

jasper or flint?
IMG_0027.jpg

Some calcite
IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Marcasite I think..
IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting those pics I was wondering what the difference between flint and chert was didn't indians use both in tool making?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread