Rockhounding in WA

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good afternoon all,

My younger daughter has an interest in rocks. No specific type nor color; just about any neat looking rock. I know there are several good spots to go hounding here in Western WA, but if anyone was willing to give some tips or tricks, I'm willing to listen. I'd be interested in any place a 12 yr old could go and pick out something neat.

Thanks,
Tabfry

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Look for a gem and mineral society in your area. They have field trips that you would be invited to. They probably have at least one show a year that she would love. Also, there are field guides to the Washington area. One is 'Gems and Minerals of Washington'.

HAVE FUN but be aware its addicting.

Upvote 0

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
There are Rock/gem and Mineral shows around Western Washington going on year round. There are a lot of rock clubs also that you can visit and or join. There's a book, Gem Trails of Washington that shows a lot of dig sites and what is found at these sites.

Upvote 0

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
start taking her out on trips to some small streams that have gravel bars and show her some agates, see if she can help you find some petrified wood or rocks with crystals in them. That is how I got my kids started and they are in their twenties and still have fun looking for them.
k.smith

Upvote 0

brewhaha

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2009
Woodinville Washington
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A long time ago I remember going to a creek, it was just FULL of garnets.
If I remember correctly it was named Garnet Creek. I could be wrong though, it was like 40 years ago :)

Upvote 0

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
brewhaha said:
A long time ago I remember going to a creek, it was just FULL of garnets.
If I remember correctly it was named Garnet Creek. I could be wrong though, it was like 40 years ago :)
I have been to two creeks named Garnet Creek in this state. One is a seasonal creek on the North Fork Sauk Creek between Barlow Pass and Darrington.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Chehalis River has some awesome carnelian & agate. dukabush has some good fossils. find an ole timer that has a rock shop if possible & let him know it's for your kid. they love getting kids into it. personally I never had the $ to get into the rock clubs, but my daughter & I still found lots just exploring on our own. oh ya, don't forget the olympic jade. very nice material. good luck, it's a wonderful lifelong hobby/obsession. & brings many cherished memories.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions