Amber

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009

am-ark

Nov 30, 2008
Virginia
There is someone who posted some pretty interesting pics of their amber with fossilized mosquito's in the fossils forum...check it out!!

Upvote 0

chadrack

Sep 20, 2008
Hello, I'll chime in here. I have polished amber for a rock shop in years past. Here is the method I used... .Wet and dry sandpaper is a must. I used a series of grit, usually starting with 120, sometimes with 220 if the surface allowed, proceeded through 440 on up to 1500 grit, all wet, very wet, dipping the paper and the subject often. It sands easily and scratches easily, so remember any scratch created must be rubbed out. A 220 grit scratch does not sand out well in the 800 range. Be thorough as you go. When you finish using the 1500 you should have a very smooth frosty look. A finished gloss can be obtained by using wet deerhide(soft and supple) and common non-whitening crest toothpaste(a very fine abrasive). If you were thorough, a fine glasslike surface should be apparent. Do not store or display it in direct sun, as fine cracks can occur from expansion/contraction and the like. Buy what you can, there was a glut on the market years ago that has passed somewhat now. I wish I had. As I have stated before, Love that stuff. c

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I perfer my specimens rough. ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread