Chrysoprase: A Unique Mineral Gemstone

C

Cappy Z.

The Greeks and Romans all used a form of Chalcedony for carving stately objects. One type is Chrysoprase. It gets its green apple color from the presence of Nickel. The best Chrysoprase now comes from Queensland Australia. I recently purchased this chunk of rough and as you can see it is very translucent, not opaque, and virtually internally flawless.

Attachments

• chrysoprase7.jpg.jpg
    chrysoprase7.jpg.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 564

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
what are you going to do with it? & is that a light that it's attached to? the color is so brilliant! would make a gorgeous piece of jewelry, but I would have to leave it as is. don't think we can do better than nature in this case.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

mamabear said:
what are you going to do with it? & is that a light that it's attached to? the color is so brilliant! would make a gorgeous piece of jewelry, but I would have to leave it as is. don't think we can do better than nature in this case.

Yes, mother nature is great. All sorts of folks collect her treasures. Rock hounds, fosseil hunters, agate addicts, and of course craftsmen (and women) in the gemstone realm.

I have cabbed a few stones, and did some free form. I am fairly certain this chunk of Chrysoprase could easily be facted into a stunning gemstone. And when a small led light is placed next to it..wow...mother nature shines!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Here it is next to a Brazillian Emerald that I placed in a sterling silver ring setting.

The color is simply perfect.

Attachments

• Chrysoprase1987jpg..jpg
    Chrysoprase1987jpg..jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a absolutely stunning stone an ring . :icon_thumleft: beautiful looking ring

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Here's a better photo. I actualy just put the Chrysoprase next to the ring for comparison.

Attachments

• Chrysoprase7887.jpg
    Chrysoprase7887.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 638
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Thanks Bink. Here's a final pic...

Attachments

• Chrysoprase8427.jpg
    Chrysoprase8427.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Nashoba said:
I do believe that is the prettiest color of Chrysoprase I have ever seen!!!!
What a wonder specimen!
~Nash~

Maybe you should trade me for it...and then find a nice sterling setting for your lady....

I don't want money...

Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Cappy Z. said:
Nashoba said:
I do believe that is the prettiest color of Chrysoprase I have ever seen!!!!
What a wonder specimen!
~Nash~

Maybe you should trade me for it...and then find a nice sterling setting for your lady....

I don't want money...

Well well well, what sort of stones might you be interested in? I have quite a lot to chose from ;D
You name it and I will look and see if I have what your heart desires!
~Nash~

Upvote 0

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
I have recently seen alot of rings being shown on T.V. and the gemstone is Tanzanite. Please can you tell me, is this a precious stone, and worth alot of money.......Thanks. U

Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Cappy Z. said:
Nashoba,

The package has been sent.

8)
Cap Z.

I'll let you know when she arrives!!! I can't wait to finish on my end....I also hope you put your return snailmail addy on that package. I made something for you. You know, that pay it forward kinda thing that makes everybody happy!
Thanks again Cappy!
~Nash~

Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Guess what came in the mail :o I can't wait to set this stone and post pics. It is prettier by far, in real life than in any of the photos. I'll say this Cappy, you sure have good taste in stones! :thumbsup:
I will, without doubt, be talking to you soon. Just so you know, I am now about two hours from home. My daughter in law is going to be giving birth to my grandson any day...perhaps any hour now. When the baby is born, I cannot stay and be in the house because I have had no H1-N1 vaccination. I'd sure like to give my grandson a warm welcoming hug into this world, but they say if I am infected and don't know it, it would be a death sentence for him. Not taking that chance.
Anyway, you will have mail coming in the next few days.
~Nash~

P.S. sent you an offline as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Hope it works out well for you Nash. My pleasure. I am posting a pic of the amulet I had mentioned. It isn't finely polished, yet.

Attachments

• Amulet777.jpg
    Amulet777.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
This is how Chrysoprase should look, a piece I bought here in Queensland and cut and polished and wire wrapped myself. I simply have too many hobbies! LOL...

Attachments

• 2009_09270003.JPG
    2009_09270003.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread