Jasper

C

Cappy Z.

Jasper is a massive, fine grained opaque variety of chalcedony. Colors vary from grey to red to yellow and even green. Here we have a rough piece, a tumbled pebble, a polished pendant, and of course a nice cabochon in a sterling silver ring. It is amazing what one can do with what nature offers.

Attachments

• Jasper 003.jpg
    Jasper 003.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 449
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

centfladigger said:
nice pieces

I actually want to take the pendant and remake it to fit the silver ring as I prefer that cab over the one in the ring lol.
My hobbie is collecting things I like. My wife benefits greatly from my addiction. lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Ashleen said:
BillyBudd said:
I actually want to take the pendant and remake it to fit the silver ring

good luck with that!
are you smithing now?

I ain't (lol) smithing cause I be working full time...my weekends my wife plans my itinerary. If I had the time I would try to do it myself. Like the song says, "No time left for..."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Got the dremel out and am working some rough jasper. Noticed metallic shimmer so continued to grind away. I am posting a photo hoping somebody tells me I haven't discovered a new source of platinum....any TNers know what metals might be mixed with jasper?

The metallic part is at the top and actually wraps around and permeates the stone.

Attachments

• Jasperrough.jpg 0015.jpg
    Jasperrough.jpg 0015.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 296
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Thought I'd show my updated dremel work... Wish I knew someone who worked with this rock frequently.

Attachments

• Jasperrough222.jpg
    Jasperrough222.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I too love all the different jaspers and agates. They make some beautiful pieces. Heres a few pics of some of the different stuff I have worked, couldnt tell you what is in them, just like them, so does my girlfriend, I have a hard time making for others because she loves them all,lol

DSC04822-1.jpg

DSC08444.jpg

DSC04814-1.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC06934.jpg

DSC04834.jpg

DSC05818-2.jpg

Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
When I was a younger man, hundreds of years ago, I used to see a stone called picture jasper, is it still available and where can I find some?

Upvote 0

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
oh yeah its out there, I have seen some beautiful work with some of the Biggs jasper, seems to be a popular stone to work with,heres some of the Owyhee and biggs I have, havent made anything yet

owyhee
DSC01320.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

Biggs
DSC01322.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Yo! centfladigger

I went to the museum geologist and he told me to 'crack open' my Chrysocolla..so I did.

He actually 'scoffed' that the material wasn't 'gem' quality...and as an afterthought.. he added I 'might' be able to cab some. I was irritated by his arrogant attitude. I knew he dissed alot of 'gem' material that wasn't 'flawless'..but when he insulted my blue..lol..we won't go there...

I was wondering if you had cabbed any Chrysocolla?

Cap Z.

Attachments

• NewBlue007.jpg
    NewBlue007.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
send it on, I will try my best to do something with it, the piece I`m working on throws me off a little because its soft in a spot or two and then hard in others. I have an old cabbing machine that I use sanding belts, not even the diamond ones, but just picked up a genie from a friend in need and have to buy the nova wheels and then I`m really in business

Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
centfladigger said:
oh yeah its out there, I have seen some beautiful work with some of the Biggs jasper, seems to be a popular stone to work with,heres some of the Owyhee and biggs I have, havent made anything yet

owyhee
DSC01320.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

Biggs
DSC01322.jpg

DSC01323.jpg
Now, that's what I'm talking about, those are some bootyful slabs, if you cut that down and want to get rid of a couple of pieces, let me know....

Upvote 0

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I`ll get with you on that real soon as soon as I can get my old saw working right, I have a nice Highland Park 10 inch I was given and rebuilt it but I cant get the feed tray to work right, I think I need a thicker blade like they had back in the day. I can cut right now but I`m not standing there and hilding rock for an hour,lol I had those times long ago.

Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
centfladigger said:
I`ll get with you on that real soon as soon as I can get my old saw working right, I have a nice Highland Park 10 inch I was given and rebuilt it but I cant get the feed tray to work right, I think I need a thicker blade like they had back in the day. I can cut right now but I`m not standing there and hilding rock for an hour,lol I had those times long ago.
Whenever you have time, you are doing me a big favor, can't find such nice pieces over here in Texas...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread