Help with Rock Identification

javaman

Dec 25, 2005
Can anyone help me with the identification of this rock? With the exception of a rusty colored topside, this specimen is a gray color. Under a strong light, with close examination, one may detect very small shiny crystals within the gray portion. By the way, I live in central Texas

Also, would anyone care to recommend a good book for rock identification?

Attachments

• DSC00453.JPG
    DSC00453.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 1,260
OP
OP
J

javaman

Dec 25, 2005
Well, the USGS didn't care to take a guess either ???. For those who may have pondered, thanks.

-Java

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
It is just tough to make a rock identification just from a photo. If I had it in my hand I could tell you but photos can only help to a certain degree.

George

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Dont feel bad..I have a four hundred pound rock that I need to identify.....at least you got to carry yours home.... ;) Yours looks like sand stone...but not being able to touch it makes it hard to ID ....I first thought you had a peice of corroded iron...let us know what you find out

Upvote 0
A

Aerosmithy

sandstone would be a good guess but as for the grey under side you described stumps me

Upvote 0
A

Aerosmithy

it could also be a piece of clay pottery or something of the sort

pottery clay that has been cooked looks very similar

Upvote 0

damonwatson

Mar 11, 2006
Pottery could be correct...Ive found many pieces of indian pottery on some of the islands off the NW tip of florida(panhandle area) They all seem to have a white/grey or orange exterior with black on the inside...with thickness ranging from 1/8" inch-3/8"inch... It was easier to identify because of the markings on the front, some had designs, and we even found two or three that had little legs on the bottom to help the pot stand or sit on its own...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some hematites in sweden look like that, try to "polish" it.(Or scratch it so you can se if there are oxides on it)

Upvote 0

GabbyGEP

Mar 30, 2005
Platteville, Colorado
Try rubbing the face of it with your fingers over a piece of paper and see if you get any of the crystals to dislodge. Then look at them under a microscope and let us know what you see. If they grains are rounded and look like sand, then the piece is a sandstone. Are there formations in the area that this was found in and do they appear like stacked stones. This is the tougher of the rock types remaining with the less tough rock weathering away into sand or into smaller pieces such as yours. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. Keep your eyes on the ground.

GabbyGEP(Gaylord)

Upvote 0

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Looks like a petrified back bone part of something.

I have this whitish looking weird rock that has clear diamond shaped rocks in it.There is red rocks and clear dark colored rocks also.This rock looks like the color of cement or chalky looking.Does not streak,not magnetic and does not way a whole lot.I have a piece I broke off of another part I threw in the bushes in our yard.When you go in the dark and put a flash light to it It really sparkles and the red rocks really show up.I never saw anything like this before.My Hubby said they look like rubies.They are very tiny also.the red is the same color as the ***Log out**** words.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread