Good place to find fossils in San Diego / La Jolla area?

GodOfRustyNails

Jul 8, 2007
South Bend, In
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi there GodOfRustyNails ,... or can we call you G.O.R.N. for short ? Good idea of your’s to do a bit of re-con before your trip . :icon_thumright:
I think the best “game” for you out here in S.D , would be the Tourmaline mines . Google “Tourmaline Mines of San Diego” and you will find a bunch of info on them . I just had a quick look and the Oceanview mine [www.digforgems.com] looks good . And I was a bit surprised to see there was a tour related to the Himalaya Mine , this also looked good [www.highdesertgemsandminerals.com] , these didn’t look like the “salted -bucket” type mines ,IMO ? These mines are about 1 ½ hr from La Jolla so plan a day for it .
Another good “game-plan” would be to contact S.P.M.A. of Lemon Grove , a great gold prospecting club , some really good people there , maybe they will let you go with them on an outing , or go to there pine valley claim where they teach beginners how to pan ?? [Pine valley about 1 ½ hr from La Jolla ]
And for in and around town , ?? There are fossils in the costal hills ,mostly marine shell’s , and there really not that nice ,soft and chalky , not really fossilized per say . If you have a metal detector you could/ should do O.K. on some of the beaches there in La Jolla . And as for the Indian Artifacts ,....well , I really don’t know what to say , ...legal on private- property , but my state of California has “issue’s” in regard’s too private property ... land-owners don’t need for artifacts being found on there land , THERE ....I said it , with out using any “BAD” word’s ! !

Hope this help’s ,.....Blindpig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GodOfRustyNails

GodOfRustyNails

Jul 8, 2007
South Bend, In
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Wow! Thank you very much for all of that info. I love the idea of the mines. I do have a Whites M6 I will be bringing along with me so metal detecting is a must. I must also thank you for the info re: the artifacts ::), I think I have enough contacts over there to find somewhere to have some fun. I will look into all you have given me. Thank you,
Steve

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As characterized above, a 'salted-bucket' mine is the Pala Mine; one of the best known (historic) mines in the district, but due to 'insurance (liability) reasons' the last I heard (a year ago) the mine is still closed to outsiders--but the tailings are availble to sift through--at various prices per size of bucket. (Pala Road, just East of 15--small road/adequate sign on north side.)
Don.......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread