How to Sell Rocks/Gemstones??

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I read this forum and see people talking about how this and that stone can be very valuable, but my question is who on earth do you sell it to? Prices on EBay never reflect what yall are suggesting, so I'm not exactly sure who it is you would sell to. How do you find a good buyer?

C

Cappy Z.

If you ever watch one my mini bidding contests here at TN...you can see I am making a killing!
:wink:

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

cillosis said:
Outside of TNet, where do you sell at?

Feebay. Craigslist..I actually sold plenty to folks at work..just dazzled them like a fat worm in front of a hungry bass....be creative... Tell your potential clients.."Jackie Onassis wore these pearls to the Inauguration.."
:wink:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cillosis

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
"Jackie Onassis wore these pearls to the Inauguration.."[/quote]

LOL, nice.

Upvote 0

Traceejean

Mar 28, 2018
Big pine ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I totally agree ..without having to travel to far ..my wonderment lately has been what is the process to sell a rock do you have to have it appraised first to see if it is legitimately valuable, who or what ?where do you go ?who do you talk to ?you how do you know if your rock is really valuable.What are the laws concerning if you find a valuable rock say you found it in a creek or walking around or something someone has to owne the land where you found the rock ! so do they have a right to say that’s my rock I mean do people really fight over rocks if it came down to it

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I totally agree ..without having to travel to far .

Then you're quite limited. Internet-sales are in my experience usually reserved for low-middle value gems.
Local fairs, markets and the likes are a good place to dip your feet.

.my wonderment lately has been what is the process to sell a rock do you have to have it appraised first to see if it is legitimately valuable, who or what ?where do you go ?who do you talk to ?you how do you know if your rock is really valuable.

This varies. Appraisals only on customer request, or on exceptional stones. (such as a IF 2cts+ ruby)
Identification is on you, educate yourself and purchase stuff from others with good rep.

Value as I calculate: Hourly wage+material costs+profit(+taxes)
That's for gemstones. Specimens are trickier and vary more, you need to research those.

Selling rocks/gems is just like selling anything else, except you need to be some-what informed, or have a good dealer back you up.

Upvote 0

Traceejean

Mar 28, 2018
Big pine ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea see I’m so inexperienced .. and yes I’ve been educating myself reading a lot but just grazing the surface of all this info ..now about sellingkinda touched info here and there but honestly I think I’m still learning to identify your rock lol!! Ha ha ha !! Totally get what your sayn about the appraisals etc ..what would be considered a low middle class gem and what’s the highest you could get paid for it ( give me an example )please ����

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea see I’m so inexperienced .. and yes I’ve been educating myself reading a lot but just grazing the surface of all this info ..now about sellingkinda touched info here and there but honestly I think I’m still learning to identify your rock lol!! Ha ha ha !! Totally get what your sayn about the appraisals etc ..what would be considered a low middle class gem and what’s the highest you could get paid for it ( give me an example )please

The example you ask for is impossible. It's like asking how much does a car cost.
Well, what car? A crushed up Chevy in the junkyard or a brand new Jeep, a Ferrari?

As for price range, I consider low-value to be 100$ or less. Middle range is up to 100-900$. High range is above that, for cut gemstones.
Though, this is totally subjective. It also varies with where you sell. I've been to places where 100$ is much for the average customer.
I've also seen where 2000$ isn't much.

You need to find your niche, Clientèle and you need to be skilled in marketing. Nothing sells without marketing.
Because, if they don't know you and your products exist, they can't purchase it.

So, to summarize:
The best way to get 1 million dollars in the gemstone trade is to start with 2 million.
Spend half, and you're there.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself have never sold much stuff. Most of my stuff I keep, even my sapphires. I have a cut citrine that one person offered $15 for and another offered $250. I still have it, don't want to sell! I once watched a guy dig up a small amethyst scepter at Crystal Park here in Montana, and a guy that was there offered him $50 for it on the spot. THAT guy then went on to sell it to another buyer for I think like $250. Then supposedly, it went on to get sold to a few more buyers, until it ended up at the Tucson show supposedly selling for $1500. I never have that kind of thing happen to me with that stuff lol!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I myself have never sold much stuff. Most of my stuff I keep, even my sapphires. I have a cut citrine that one person offered $15 for and another offered $250. I still have it, don't want to sell! I once watched a guy dig up a small amethyst scepter at Crystal Park here in Montana, and a guy that was there offered him $50 for it on the spot. THAT guy then went on to sell it to another buyer for I think like $250. Then supposedly, it went on to get sold to a few more buyers, until it ended up at the Tucson show supposedly selling for $1500. I never have that kind of thing happen to me with that stuff lol!

Hahha, the offer of 15$ vs 250$ is quite typical. When asked to value a car, often people have a rough estimate.
However, very few people know how to estimate/value gems.
It probably is one of the harder things in the trade.:occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread