Looking for gem hunting locations

jcshayden

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2009
Well, since nobody is responding to my previous thread despite the numerous replies, I decided to start a new thread with a simpler question. Does anybody know any good spots to go gem hunting in southern California near the orange county/San Bernardino county/inland empire area? I know of a few good areas by the border like North Black hills and the Potato patch, but I'm looking for something a little more local and less like a desert. Thanks in advance for any responses!!

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are really interested in gem collection, I guess the best book on the subject is written by Neil R. Bearce (US Air Force retired). His book locates 90 personally tested collection sites using topo maps and photographs. He gives very detailed information on each site, including difficulty, etc. The name of the 400 page book is "Minerals, Fossils, and fluorescents of ARIZONA" "a field guide for collectors." Geographically it is not in the area you have specified but given the detail this book has, try looking for a similar publication at your local library. The ISBN # 0-9749846-1-2 check it out and decide for yourself if perhaps a weekend camping trip would satisfy your desire to come home with what you are looking for instead of a "nice try but no cigar" at a local spot that is easily accessible.

Good luck in your search
Ken "dustcap" Chichester

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jcshayden

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks dustcap for your suggestion, I looked online a found a good Cali book. Most of the areas are desert, but I did find out about an old Opal vein in my local mountains! Thanks for your help! ;D

Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
jcshayden said:
Thanks dustcap for your suggestion, I looked online a found a good Cali book. Most of the areas are desert, but I did find out about an old Opal vein in my local mountains! Thanks for your help! ;D

Awesome deal on the opal vein...One of my favorite gemstones and one I hunt as often as possible. Now regarding the desert. That's always where the good stuff is. Anywhere where you either sunburn and freeze all within 24 hours in the same spot. :dontknow:
Happy Hunting
~Nash~

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jcshayden

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2009
You're funny nash, but i guess you are right. The vein is right on a rockface, so it turns into oven during the day. At night though, it gets pretty damn cold at 3000 feet. ;D

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you gents prefer opals, have you tried Opal Mountain? From Las Vegas NV, head due west for about ten miles to Hinkley, NV; then north to a 'black' mountain, Opal Mountain. Many different colors of opal (except 'fire', unfortunately) are yours for the taking. Check first for accessability; its been years since I was there.
Don.....

Upvote 0

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20111019_234355.jpg i know of a place in the nuevo area where i have found a large aquamarine crystal measuring 6in and many smaller ones along with black tourmaline some very large and garnets and even one small pocket of green tourmaline

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread