Platinum??

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
I was wondering if Raw Platinum can be placed like gold can.??
and if it can what does it look like and how do i search it out .. is it heavy is it lighter that silver ??

Are there any web site that have ideas.. ways.. how to .. pics of it ... for small time prospectors.

I am in Ohio and i have looked some what but cant seem to find much about it.

any help would be thankful.

Axgar

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
People find Platinum nuggets, but they are rare. Not sure on the weight. You need to study up on PGM'S Platinum group metals.
They are all ways together.
Dano.

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Platinum is heavier than silver. It generally looks like silver, only different..... dunno how to describe it, but it has a character all its own. Kinda silvery steel grey?

There are six different platinum group metals, all with varying weights.

The six different PGM's are Platinum, Palladium, Iridium, Rhodium, Osmium, and Ruthenium.

Try this link- http://www.webmineral.com/

We get a little platinum from time to time here in Oregon, and in N.California, as it usually runs with the gold in placers.

Upvote 0

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas

Attachments

• alcheshire_cat.gif
    alcheshire_cat.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,054
  • alcheshire_cat.gif
    alcheshire_cat.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,052
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
great . thanks every one ...that helps... and i will see if i find any in my pans here in ohio . thanks... just dont want to toss out any of the good stuff .. hehehe

Axgar

Upvote 0

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
dano91 said:
People find Platinum nuggets, but they are rare. Not sure on the weight. You need to study up on PGM'S Platinum group metals.
They are all ways together.
Dano.

Platinum has a specific gravity of 20, AU is 19, AG is 11?

Platinum nuggets (even flecks) are rare. PMG's are generally tied up in native intrusives. If you find something that looks like silver with a heavier weight it's more likely gold in mercury amalgam then plats. I've spoke with some mineralogists about PMGs in the Medicine Bow region of Wyoming. Most PMGs are at depth rather then in placer deposits are tied up in lode deposits.. Placer Plats are rare, some on AK, Some in Russia but in parts per BILLION is more the scenario.

Dan Hausel of WYGS has a lot of good references in these papers..
http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/metals/platinum.aspx
http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/metals/cent.aspx

Upvote 0

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have a gold claim in western oregon. So far I have recovered one platinum hugget but it is very very small. I broke open a rock and there it was.
I have it in a small plastic display box.
My son was living in Oregon at the time and I am living in Florida. He never worked the claim a single time and now lives in Texas-what a waste.
Peg Leg

Upvote 0

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
http://www.mindat.org/min-3236.html
A lot of old timers would throw it out as they thought it was junk not bearing any resemblance to known minerals at he time!I have had quite a few field days finding "Electrum" that was discarded back in the old days
Now if you really want to talk $$$$ go find yourself some Rhodium , last time I checked it was around $3200.00 an ounce (troy and yup that is threethousand and some change ;)

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Here is the one piece that I have found.... pretty doggone sure its platinum- it's heavy, and doesn't burn off in nitric, like mercury coated gold.

Notice how it sure stands out from gold, no mistaking the color difference. This guy is really dinky, maybe an eighth of an inch across.

Attachments

• Platinum.jpg
    Platinum.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
MesaBuddy said:
http://www.mindat.org/min-3236.html
A lot of old timers would throw it out as they thought it was junk not bearing any resemblance to known minerals at he time!I have had quite a few field days finding "Electrum" that was discarded back in the old days
Now if you really want to talk $$$$ go find yourself some Rhodium , last time I checked it was around $3200.00 an ounce (troy and yup that is threethousand and some change ;)

The problem with PMG's is that most PMGs are not placer deposits. Most PMGs are locked up in lode deposits, and required processing several tons of gange to get 1 gram of metal. Native placer nuggets of Rhodium are rarer then rare. PMGs are generally recovered as a by product of CU/Ag/Pb/Ni/Zn/Mo/Au large scale mining. I've got a 10 grain nugget of platinum from placer from the Kenai Penisula area of AK.
Pt has a SG of 19 (similar to Au at 19.3) where silver is easily distinguished at a much lower specific gravity.

I don't think I'd specifically go out look for PMGs. I'd look for a other metals and take the PMGs as by products.. As you said don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Upvote 0

xplror

Greenie
Jul 2, 2006
BULLHEAD CITY.AZ
Detector(s) used
SEAHUNTER II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the spanish found platinum they thought it was imature silver and threw it back in to age. be nic to know where, rho 4580 per oz gov uses it to hardface bunker busting missiles.

Upvote 0

Edmar256

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439054263.562855.jpg
Any one can help identify this 6 rock metal??
I brought it to the jewel shop..6 rocks 6 jewel shop i visit also for evey rocks and they had inconsistent statement..stainless is how they called this rock.
I discover many characters of this rock
Density
Gravity
Crystals
Softness/hardness
I dont know why evrytime i let the rock fall on the floor and there will be changes in its physical appearances..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weigh them and get volume, that is the way to tell from spec gravity what they are.

As far as the thread goes, there is quite a bit of palladium the the mother lode region. It looks quite a bit like lead, and most throw it out of the sluice. I ran some tests and found it it was palladium, started keeping anything I thought was lead.

Upvote 0

Edmar256

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh my god i dont know
What To do about this rocks even the red gold curtain

Upvote 0

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I discover many characters of this rock
Density
Gravity
Crystals
Softness/hardness

If you post these numbers, I am certain someone here will provide a positive ID for you.

Jeffro: That seems to be pretty bright for raw platinum....one never knows though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions