fire agate question

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
I was needing help fast.
Our grandpa gave us a bunch of rough mineral and was sapose to teach us how to work with it but unfortunatly alzheimers set in before he could. We was wanting to sell some to help with his medical expenses but am at a point the people want me to sell.
I am kinda illiterate to this but have done some reading. What i dont understand, is the price. Is it for like a little noudle or a big piece? Sorry 2 be so stupid to this but time has ran out and the people are waiting to hear from me and I dont want to be taken for.
I have attached a pic of what I am talking about.
It is from arizona.
any help appreciated
pat

Attachments

• m_018.jpg
    m_018.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 751

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it is anything similar to opal you set a price what you seem suitable considering the quality (colour display) and weight. :coffee2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
thank you for your response :dontknow: still learning about the color thing.
I know a few have a gold color and when sunlight hits it also has green. There are alot that has the red orange color when held up to the sun.
still doing research to make myself more knowledgeable about this but was just in a rush by these people.
once again thank ou for taking the time to respond

Upvote 0

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009
it's kinda hard to tell from the pic, how big the pieces are. you can always go on ebay to see how much people are buying fire agate for as well.

Upvote 0

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Precious,,,, Pit run material from AZ. goes for about two hundred dollars for a five gallon bucket. But at the gem and mineral shows pieces like your picture go for $5.oo each. Only after polishing do you get them $30.00 dollars a gram and up. Then it depends on where it came from in AZ. I.E, Deer Creek, Slaughter Mountain.

Go to ,,,, www.fireagatehead.com

James will help you, and sells all the equipment, and kits for polishing. Don't let any one rush you in selling this stone, It is nice stuff when you can see that much fire in it.
Arid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
Arid
I tried the web site you had suggested but it wont diplay the page. says check spelling.
I really dont need any of the tools because grandpa had those aas well.
I have decided not to deal with those people because they had some other jewler they said contact me and said the pics show him that the fire agte I had was of no value............. ok maybe............... but why you want me to call and talk about all the fire agate I have?
IDK, I just felt they were not telling the truth. my grandpa dedicated all his years to collecting, cuttin and polishing minerals and gems he had found. I am sure he knew what he had, I also remembering him telling us to be very careful because we just dont know what these barrells are worth. He said more than we can imagine.
I just can't believe there are people out there who would take advantage .
So needless to say, I have decided to read more aobut it and talking to a local jewlery dealer for a lapadary.
thank you for all your help and will definatly keep this site for when I get more of his gems and minerals.
Pat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
Arid
Thank you so very much for your help.
I did come across that site several times. I will send him a message.
Since doing more research I have gotten very addicted to the fire agate and have started weeding through all and I mean all the fire agate we have of grandpas. I have learned that he also seperated and was begining to work with it. I can really understand why this is so beautiful.
I am in the process of getting a drimmel and the stuff to begin working and I thank goodness I didnt just jump because grandpa was right.........we really didnt know what them buckets were worth.
I have came across some other stones mixed in with the agate, I believe 1 is amethest and not sure of the others but will post pics as the time comes. right now I am very interested in begining this agte.
Once I get some finished and ready to sell I will post here first.
Again thank you Arid, I could have really made a big big mistake.
precious

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread