Help IDing These Stone Nodules from Missouri

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
These stones or found along gullies that have washed away the clay material leaving them exposed. There are no other stones present and some of theses stone can be seen embedded in the clay itself. Most of the nodules have a navel as outlined in the pictures the insides is a solid granular material and minimum brown in color. The closes thing that I have seen representing there appearance is watching the shapes produced by a lava lamp. Any help will greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• rocks 1 (Medium).GIF
    rocks 1 (Medium).GIF
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,685
  • rocks 2 (Medium).GIF
    rocks 2 (Medium).GIF
    112.5 KB · Views: 891
  • rocks 3 (Medium).GIF
    rocks 3 (Medium).GIF
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,325
  • Broken Rock (Medium).JPG
    Broken Rock (Medium).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 936

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like petrified sweet potatoes. Or poo.

Upvote 0

claymation

Oct 14, 2007
NM
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, they look just like moqui stones or moqui marbles. From Missouri ? I thought they are from Utah, I guess they can be found anywhere the conditions are right.

Upvote 0

Yoop

Greenie
Dec 25, 2009
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
They are called concretions. Those are most likely calcareous concretions. Actually "sand" with a calcareous cement.

See links:

http://www.priweb.org/ed/concretions.htm (scroll down)

There is a diverse variety of concretions, in shape, material and inner contents. Some concretions have formed around fossils and, commonly , fossil ferns.

Concretions are common in certain areas of Missouri.

Google "concretions" to see the numerous varieties and shapes. Some can get quite large.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in Bollinger co. & have a lot of those here too. do you find many fossils in Scott co? 'posed to be some good ones.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread