Hiddenite and the emerald hollow mine

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Supposedly, a great place for digging your own gem stones. I just got back and can say the only return trip I'll make there is with kids and NO shovels.

Digging:
Don't waste your time if you want dig your own gems. Everywhere I dug had semi-fresh organic matter 4-5 feet down. From what I could tell, the "digging" area was tailing's from the sluice way.

Creeking:
I busted my @ss screening in the creek. Of course, I did find some gems. After a day, I decided to walk up creek and do some sifting(not far from the designated "creeking" area. Nothin', Nada'. After about 10 screens a gentleman walked up and said you need to be screening over there(about 20 yards down creek). I said, what ya'll dump stuff in the creek? I got the funny look and packed my bags.

Keep in mind, this was my experience and my opinion.

Look to spend a pretty penny going through salted buckets here.

I even called beforehand and confirmed about digging in virgin areas.
Newt

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
Most years at the Spruce Pine gem show (usually ~ the last week of july), the owners of the crabtree emerald mine take a group up to the closed mine & let them hunt the creeks & tailings. This is about the only way to find decent emeralds in the western part of the state. :(
It seems it is even harder to find "real" native gems in eastern NC.

Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
emerald hollow is notorius for that,It's a RIP.they salt the creek in a certain area.no real digging there.and if you do come up with anything ,it's not worth cutting.(unless you look like Kirsten Gum,have a film crew ,give them free advertising,show some clevage,maybe a little more clevage) then you are garanteed to find something decent!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
strickman said:
emerald hollow is notorius for that,It's a RIP.they salt the creek in a certain area.no real digging there.and if you do come up with anything ,it's not worth cutting.(unless you look like Kirsten Gum,have a film crew ,give them free advertising,show some clevage,maybe a little more clevage) then you are garanteed to find something decent!!!!!

Does a plumber crack count as clevage? If so, I headin' back!
Newt

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Okay, here it is. I too watched all those Hunting for gems and treasures shows with Gum and the other one who got banged and had twins. Also a few shows with poor acting dudes. The bottom line is I thought and believed one could go to NC and actually find something. Well, heres the scoop. IF there were actually quality mines producing gem quality stuff...it would be for sale everywhere. I went to NC in Franklin and bought rough emeralds. They were imported from Brazil. $8.00 a bag.. and not a single rough from NC. So..if in fact they have tons of lesser grade rough? Then why not sell it? I think there is a whole lotta hype going on. IF there were ANY gems of REAL quality..you'd see them in the gem market. As for hiddenite etc. I wonder why after almost 100 years nobody up there actually gets excited about digging? One last note, I saw a guy on Cash and Treasures Show talk about all, the 98% pure gold being found in Georgia...well..the guy had ONE tooth and HE was on TV! All I could think was IF you found a gold nugget...why not visit a dentist???

My two cents.

Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cap,there is a lot of hype on the emerald scene-they are there ,but not as plentiful.believe it or not there is some very fine ones but they don't let just anyone dig there.personally i think it's just like the gold hype here in ga.-it is there but not as plentiful.the best spots are private ,no access.it does run 21-23 kt. pure.and there are nice nuggetts.but you have to do your homework,very hard work.and you have to get off the beaten path.if you do this it can have good rewards.but the average person will never see this........it took me a long time to get that first oz.---the second was easier -and so on and on.but if it was easy everyone would do it.most people give up after working all day and look at the result and say all that work for a couple of specks!some people have a different mindset-they have a different approach.some i believe have an affinity for gold or gemstones,and this realates to metal detecting as well.if you persist you will be rewarded,even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then.i have found some nice stones through the years while dredging.even in places not known for them.i found a facet grade ruby (very nice color and clarity) not the run of the mill north carolina cabbing variety .it cut .95 of a ct. and was exceptional.the thing is i found it where they were not supposed to be.the lapidiarist could not believe where i found it.the area has a lot of almadine garnet that the old timers threw old they were after gold,if it wasn't gold they threw it out.out of those a small percentage was actually very fine ruby.most are small but there are some that are decent.so persistance does pay off.but remember.a tourist trap-is a tourist trap.thats all.they are there to make money not give out a thousand dollar stone for a fee of five dollars a bucket.i know you are a very generous person as do anyone else who is a regular.and give away some awesome deals.you are an exception to the rule.but then again you don't own a gemstone mine operating as a tourist trap,BUT IF YOU DID I WOULD RECOMMEND CAPPY'SGEMSTONE MINE TO ALL MY FRIENDS... :thumbsup: :headbang: :notworthy:and i mean it as a compliment!wish they were as good hearted as you.

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then... (Strickman)

:D Now THAT is being a true optimist!

Now where did I put my glasses....?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread