Carved stone statue.

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This stone piece was found by my father in AZ, while he was gold mining with his friend. It was just laying in the middle of absolute no where. Been about 15 years ago. Seems to look like the carved bust of a woman(no head). Weighs about 65LBS, and about 20 inches tall. Three very distinctive areas, back side, front side, and upper front side. Just thought it would be cool to hear what people think.

Zach

Attachments

• IMG00878.JPG
    IMG00878.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG00879.JPG
    IMG00879.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG00880.JPG
    IMG00880.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG00881.JPG
    IMG00881.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 701
OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rasputin said:
Looks like an effigy that perhaps was abandoned when the head spalled off while carving. That's my W.A.G. anyway.

Cool, we have no clue. seem cool to think though.
It sits very well, but it seems to fall over sometimes on its own(2x a year)
just wierd,,

THANKS
z

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm..... What type of stone? Looks kinda like Quartz to me, that being said it does look kinda like an effigy although most that i have saw of the indian type are more styilized than this.....could be a statue from europe that was damaged in the past, or one that was being carved and like mentioned was damaged and discarded. JMHO

Upvote 0

tonesbones

Greenie
Sep 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250- My first ever!
I like that it was found in the middle of nowhere... kinda adds to the mystery. I mean, yeah, if I was carving a bust of my wife and the darn chisel busted her head off, I would curse and throw it in the rock pile in my back yard... not haul it off into the middle of the barren Arizona desert. I can't tell if there are distinct chisel marks, or if that is the natural coloring of the quartzite. Most things don't weather pocked marks, so if the surface is uneven than its a good bet that it was crafted that way by human hands. Why it was where it was, just a good mystery.
Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
Totally rad find!

Conjures up visions of a wagon crossing the desert with the statue inside when they're set upon by Indians who kill the occupants (or haul them off) but not before dragging all the stuff in the wagon out onto the desert sand. Then, in the heat of the moment, they deface the formerly precious object and leave it to weather out there.

(Hey... It's good story if nothing else! LOL!)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread