Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe muriatic acid, stuff used to etch concrete. but wait until you get other oppinions cappy as i'm not 100% sure.

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Cappy--muriatic (hydrochloric) acid probably won't do much for you. You're nemesis here is iron staining. Instead soak it in a solution of oxalic acid. Use three parts water to one part oxalic acid crystals. Be sure to use gloves and a mask as it is dangerous to breathe in. Be sure to post an "after" picture. Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

First of all a big thanks to everyone who responded. I did read the travelorian link and it was very very educational. Not that I am lazy, but it is more time consuming than I ever imagined. However, more importantly is safety. Wow. Apparently these acids are quite toxic.

So anyway, eventually I will attempt to clean the quartz. But after reading the toxicity report I am taking my good old time before I start the project.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009
cappy, muriatic acid will remove all the haze, and staining from the outside of that quartz. you can usually find it at a pool supply store.

Upvote 0

uthunter

Sep 7, 2010
Cache County, Utah
Nice piece...

Muiratic acid can be found at most hardware stores, same with oxalic acid tho it is not as common.

I use both for refining my panned gold if it has a high iron content. Works good.

Whichever you choose, DO IT OUTSIDE. The fumes are hazardous and smell horrendous.

Yes cleaning crystals if not a fun job, start asking around the local rock shops, some do this service some don't. The local rock club may know someone who does it as well.

Good Luck

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Muratic acid at Home depot comes in a box with 2, 1gallon jugs for around 10 bucks. Good for your toilet, too. But I purchased oxalic acid at a pharmacy. I watched the guys in Ark. heat up a huge caldron of it (outside, of course) and throw all their crystals in it. I have found that although slower, it works nicely without heat. I put some with crystals in it several years ago and have pretty much forgotten about it, although the crystals are nice and clean. That happened in a couple of days, I think. Stay away from the fumes of muratic acid. Nasty stuff. If you pour it in your toilet, get out fast and close the door.

Upvote 0

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy, Oxalic acid is used in the fruit canning business. All acid can be nasty stuff. but oxalic is usefull for stones and cleaning iron stains.
It is what 'wood bleach' is made of. A way to speed up the process of cleaning stones or even iron parts is to use a old crock pot, out of doors. Find one at a yard sale, cause you won't be able to use it for cooking any more. Check out some of the crystal cleaning site's on the web. There is a bunch of them, and it is easy, :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread