Something called Powder rocks

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
When I was a kid my Grandpa used to take me out in S. GA looking for something he called powder rocks. I don't have any pictures but they came in various sizes and were a rough texture with a brownish color to them. When we picked them up and shook them we could hear the powder inside moving around. When we busted them open they would have various colored powder inside, mostly red or blue from what I remember. Does anybody know the actual name of these rocks or has anyone else found them?

Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fldiver .. those rocks correct term is called ( Paint rocks ) when little my dad took me with him to hunt down paint rocks and indian arrow heads we found dozens of each they are called paint rocks because the Indians would break them open and use them for just to paint themselves up as war paint, or just for show. for the women folk. you are the ONLY person that I have ever encountered besides my family that even knows they exist in my years of living. the ones I found were so common place that my dad took me to a mans farm where he just tilled the ground and I fould dozens of the rocks and 3 or 4 dozens of arrow heads if you want to know more email me and let me know who you are [email protected]

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have any pictures of them before and after opening them? That's a pretty unusual mineral form your describing.

Upvote 1
Aug 19, 2023
When I was a kid my Grandpa used to take me out in S. GA looking for something he called powder rocks. I don't have any pictures but they came in various sizes and were a rough texture with a brownish color to them. When we picked them up and shook them we could hear the powder inside moving around. When we busted them open they would have various colored powder inside, mostly red or blue from what I remember. Does anybody know the actual name of these rocks or has anyone else found them?
I have had people argue with me about these stones, of which I have 2. Other people say “Oh, you mean a rock painted by Indians?” Not many people seem to know these rocks actually do exist.

Upvote 0

Mpl85

Dec 1, 2022
You have any pictures of them before and after opening them? That's a pretty unusual mineral form your describing.
I couldn't hear anything shaking but something told me to crack it open. When mixed with water the powder creates a stunning, opalescent, red-pearl finish. (I will try to capture this on camera). I also found a few very small (.1-.2ct), yellow-clear 8 sided, diamond shaped crystals.
IMG_20240331_035958450.jpg
IMG_20240331_013436841.jpg

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread