jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was over in eastern Oregon in gold country. I was taking a break from dredging and was working a dry wash with my Md. I noticed a black rock sitting on top of a very strange mound of freshly overturned dirt. It was up on the bank and it hadn't had any water run over it, very loose and rough edged. Didn't look like it was from there, very odd. After looking I came up with a dozen of these very nice smooth pieces of Obsidian from off of this mound of dirt. After looking the area over I couldn't locate any more in the area. I thought that someone may have set them there but they where scattered about and into the soil a little bit. Anyone ever see this before?

Attachments

• IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 352

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any sign of a perlite matrix nearby? In Arizona these are called "Apache Tears" - google them, hit images and you can see the variety of sizes and some in the matrix. My family has found them from pea sized up to egg sized. You can tumble them, but google how, you need to be gentle.
What a neat surprise for you!
Tigger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tigger,
I did Google them and that is exactly what they are, I guess your never to old to learn something new. Now I will have to take a screen and go sift some dirt and see if there are more. Very COOL :icon_thumright:
It's been a little while since I have been there so I will look for the Matrix on the next trip, can't remember. I wasn't really paying attention after seeing them. Do you know if they are hard to find and if there worth anything?

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a TOTAL amateur rock hounder, but there's lots of places in AZ at least, so they're not rare. My husband's family is from there, and we have a coffee can each of polished and unpolished. I would suggest collecting enough of them to tumble a batch, keep a couple raw ones, or in matrix for display, and just have fun with them. They make nice earrings, can wire wrap, or put a bell top on... Maybe you'll find a big one - the only egg sized one we found, was when we took a friend out, and HE found it!! Ours are more grape sized.
Have fun looking!!
Tigger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my first attempt at a neckless for my girlfriend.

Attachments

• IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
very nice! i still have a little box around here that i brought back from NM full of small ones of these that i was gonna get made into jewelery, but i never did. still cool just having them though

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread