• CIMG1602.JPG
    CIMG1602.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 816

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scratches with quartz I suppose?

Psilomelane or Ilmenite I would guess. :read2:

Upvote 0

Grebo

Greenie
Oct 4, 2010
It is actually covellite and worth more than the other suggestions thrown at you. I would pay you close to a hundred for it if I were a collector. I have sold 3 covellite specimens on ebay recently which I received from an auction back in June. They are very rare now and can not be obtained easily anymore.

EDIT: The gold colored material in it is actually pyrite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
I can not scratch it with Quartz. Even under magnify glass no trace of scratch.
Did look like peacock pyrite but now going to follow up with the other suggestions.
Thank you all for the input. much appreciated :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i say covelite also, i bought a 20 or so lb. chunk at an auction this spring. really heavy, i was wondering if i should slab it or leave it whole.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
Done alot of researching on the information provided to me and using my best judgement (totally amateur) but comparing pictures as well. my conclusion ends with peacock pyrite.
The formation along with colors match close to mine.
Mine has a black type, almost cinder like appearance and displays the color of peacock pyrite.
Doing more research now on lapidary work with this.
Thank you all so much for your help in identifying this specimen for me, grandpa has several more that I will be posting soon.

Upvote 0

Grebo

Greenie
Oct 4, 2010
It is normal for a covellite specimen to have that dark gray/black material in it as well. I'm 100% sure it is covellite and if at any time you are going to sell it as peacock/pyrite, please let me know. ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
Grebo, SO glad you stayed persistent. :thumbsup: I took a brush to it and found it hard lots of earth/ grit still on it. After a nice bath it is more gorgeous now. The colors are mouth dropping. I have to say you are right. I had a link sent to me that had a similar specimen and since the bath, they matched identically. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Covellite? Seriously??? :o
100% sure it isn't!

Way to hard. Covellite scratches with the fingernail! :-X

Peacock Pyrite? Is that another metaphysical hokus pokus name? ::) :laughing7:
No such thing exists. Possibly it refers to oxidised pyrite which can have a colourful surface.

Doesn't scratch with quartz?
Redo the test - use more pressure with the quartz. Do it in a not so well visible place.
Otherwise it would be a contradiction since very few minerals over hardness 7 have a streak and it matches none of those. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
So confused :icon_scratch:
I tried scratching it in several different places and the end result, it scrapes off flakes into my hand or on the towel & I can not see anywhere, even with a magnify glass where I scratched any of the areas.
When I run it across the tile it leaves a black trail, like what is left in my hand after the quartz test.
I have been bombarded with links so still researching. Amateur I am with out a doubt :read2:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, do you have topaz?
Check what hardness the streak plate has.
The rock is softer then the streak plate so that should give an indication. :icon_thumleft:

And then see if your specimen can scratch the metal of the knife - scratches there are usually quite easy to see.

That's the nice part of hardness testing - it always works the other way around to. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
I tried scratching it in several different places and the end result, it scrapes off flakes into my hand or on the towel & I can not see anywhere, even with a magnify glass where I scratched any of the areas.
If you are scraping off flakes then you are scratching it. Try scraping off flakes with your fingernail.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
I have tried the finger nail thing and can scrape off the same kind if particles in my hand also leaving black on my finger nail.
As for the knife it does appear to leave faint scratches on the knife. I can't honestly say if it leaves any on the specimen because of it's complex formation and me being an amateur.
Trying to get a better picture but I am just starting out and my camera is a cheap one.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
One of my books states that Covellite should melt easily and produce a blue flame.
Take some of those pieces that are coming off and put them in a small fire.
Also says that it dissolves in hydrochloric acid, but then so does your fingers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

precious4204

Mar 11, 2010
I tried scratching some off for the flame thing and when I was done all I got in my hand was ash type material with gold sparkles (kinda like womens body glitter effect). Not sure how to describe other than it turned my hand black like holding a piece of fire coals but had a little shimmer to it in the sun. Tossed what I had into a candle and what little crumbs I had turned to ash (no signs of crumbs).
I am afraid to really do anymore scratching due to it falling apart more, is there any other test I can do? Does this help identify it better?
I am still confused but attracted to the beauty.
Thank you everyone for your time and patience :read2:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread