Found some blue stones in North Alabama..are they Turquiose??

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al

Attachments

• 0218121946.jpg
    0218121946.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 4,015

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could you break a small one open using a hammer?
Don't forget eye protection!

If slag it would probably have a glassy look on a freshly exposed surface. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from the picture, but some of them really do look like turquoise, so I'd put down that hammer, just in case!!! Here's a link to your local gem and mineral society - they meet the 4th Monday - next week! and their contact numbers.
http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/clubs/alabama.shtml

If you go, you may want to take some of your points as well, see if some of them share your interest. Let us know what they say if you decide to go this route!!
Tigger

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I am aware of several area in and around PA that have what's called "Chalk Turquoise" and just be picked up as you've done here.. So if the stones have a chalky feel or look to them.. Thats prob what it is..

Upvote 0

MCHLMRTN

Aug 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from N.W Alabama

Dude...I have found similar stones myself. Not very often, but I have happened along maybe half a handful over the last few years. I'll try and locate them (as I collect different rocks/stones that I come accross) and photo and share. By the way, I am located in Franklin county Alabama. Russellville area.

(Edit add)= If you count from top, left to right...mine are more like the 6th and 7th. The Blue'er ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The stones look very similar to Turquoise but I can't be sure that is what they are. There are three forms of Copper Oxides, one of which is Blue and Copper Sulphate is Blue. Both are toxic and can be deadly, so be careful when handling the stones until you are sure what they are.

Frank

Upvote 0

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman, there are only 2 copper oxides, and copper sulfate (mineral form chalcanthite) is toxic to the environment but you have to ingest lots for it to be harmful to humans. Not trying to be rude, just informative

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Huntsman, there are only 2 copper oxides, and copper sulfate (mineral form chalcanthite) is toxic to the environment but you have to ingest lots for it to be harmful to humans. Not trying to be rude, just informative

I was just going by what is on Wikipedia because I could not remember some of the info the Staff at the Copper Hill Mine here in Tennessee told me some 20 years ago about Copper Oxides and also showed me thousands of specimens collected from the mines. The Free Dictionary also lists 3 Copper Oxides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_oxide

Copper Oxides | Article about Copper Oxides by The Free Dictionary

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread