Experts ID help. NEEDED**

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
It is hard to ID rocks bases just on pictures.
It looks like the first rock is a small geode. if it has distinct crystals then most likely it is quartz. If it is rounded and blobby (naturally) then it would be called chalcedony.
How hard is it? What shape are the crystals? Do you see a concoidal fracture on the broken edge?
No idea on the second rock, except to say the holes probably had a much softer material in them originally, that was washed away by whatever stream action rounded the rock.
Rob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
Bajahunter said:
It is hard to ID rocks bases just on pictures.
It looks like the first rock is a small geode. if it has distinct crystals then most likely it is quartz. If it is rounded and blobby (naturally) then it would be called chalcedony.
How hard is it? What shape are the crystals? Do you see a concoidal fracture on the broken edge?
No idea on the second rock, except to say the holes probably had a much softer material in them originally, that was washed away by whatever stream action rounded the rock.
Rob
Thanks Rob, I did some further research on chalcedony and I believe that is what I got however can chalcedony come in the bluish green color I have?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Yes. Chalcedony can be any color under the rainbow.
I haven't seen too many pieces that are blue/green. That is a pretty specimen.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree on the chalcedony. The other one is difficult.
A picture in sunlight would help to show the colour better, but as Baja said minerals are hard to ID via only pics.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread