Recent find

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a recent find. The hammer is for size.
Not the best pics, just some quick shots with my cellphone.:thumbsup:

201204092184.jpg

201204092186.jpg

Anyone want to take a stab at what it is? I'll post the answer tomorrow.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will answer this evening, not hematite. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is actually Limonite. :)

Upvote 0

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say limonite is iron ore too; it's carrying out oxidative changes. Can also be called brown hematite. Very nice formation of it. Yours just has some interesting crystal coating. I don't think that normally occurs like that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say limonite is iron ore too; it's carrying out oxidative changes. Can also be called brown hematite. Very nice formation of it. Yours just has some interesting crystal coating. I don't think that normally occurs like that.

Yup, there where a few furnances in this region which worked with bog ore (Limonite).
It is not worked as an ore these days any more though.

I'm not sure what you mean with oxidative changes?
Limonite is a name for a group of iron hydroxides as far as I know.
At least we don't find them to often in this kind of globular habit.. :)

Upvote 0

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxidation occurs when metals are in contact with oxygen molecules and other substances in their environment. The metal itself is not damaged but it has a patina on the surface. Thats why there may be that crystalline coating. I'm kinda thinkin out loud here, but thats cuz I think thats cool. I have some forms of bog iron ore I have collected. It has many cavities and is globular aggregated. Mine definitely don't look like yours but I think mine has about the same chemical composition.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh, yes, now I follow. English is not my mother tongue - can give problems every now and then. :)

The coating often come from that minerals are in humid areas, it somehow reacts there.
Pyrite, if given long enough in humid condition will eventually turn to limonite. :)
I don't know of the iron rich silicates though, bet they could also form limonite one way or another.

Upvote 0

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this quote from Wikipedia too help us see the components:
"Some of these textures are micritic, pelleted, intraclastic, peloidal, oolitic, pisolitic, and stromatolitic.[SUP][1][/SUP] In low-grade iron formations, there are different dominant minerals dependent on the different types of facies. The dominant minerals in the oxide facies are magnetite and hematite. The dominant minerals in the silicate facies are greenalite, minnesotaite, and glauconite. The dominant mineral in the carbonate facies is siderite. The dominant mineral in the sulfide facies is pyrite. Most iron formations are deformed or metamorphosed simply due to their incredibly old age, but they still retain their unique distinctive chemical composition; even at high metamorphic grades. The higher the grade, the more metamorphosed it is. Low grade rocks may only be compacted while high grade rocks often can not be identified. They often contain a mixture of banded iron formations and granular iron formations. Iron formations can be divided into subdivisions known as: banded iron formations (BIFs) and granular iron formations (GIFs).[SUP][3][/SUP]
Bog ore

The above classification scheme is the most commonly used and accepted, though sometimes an older system is used which divides iron-rich sedimentary rocks into three categories: bog iron deposits, ironstones, and iron formations. A bog-iron deposit is iron that formed in a bog or swamp through the process of oxidation."

Upvote 0

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my specimen. It's really weathered. I found mine in a low, moist area too. I didnt have to dig, it was on the surface from erosion. There are some yellow sparkles on it. You might can see it from the pics. I think yours is prettier though.

Attachments

• 0501121535b.jpg
    0501121535b.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 0501121536a.jpg
    0501121536a.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, martin, although there is quite some bog ore around here not very much is like that one. Sadly.
Most is similar to yours.

Upvote 0

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your footnote: "Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke." That is funny. There is a huge gneiss quarry about 30 minute drive from me and there is a real cool crystalline limestone quarry even closer. A few days ago I searched for it on the web, it is actually posted on mindat.org. I didn't even think i would find it on the web. I would love to gain a sample of a few of the minerals there. I see some of them have localities in Europe too. One being a epidote group mineral, zoisite. Look at my link if you want: Lime Rock Quarry, Siloam, Yadkin Co., North Carolina, USA. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well... Most geology jokes make me giggle, lol. :laughing7:

I am mostly surrounded by granites, there are some mafic rocks around to, but not much worth while.
About an 1 hour drive is required to get to some more interesting area; Vetlanda.

Vetlanda, Småland, Sweden

There is another closer area, about 15 min drive, but it is not listed on mindat. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! I don't know that many people that have the same interest as me. The rest of my family really don't care about minerals and rocks like me. I enjoy traveling and visiting many nice landforms in the state I live in, North Carolina. From misty mountain tops, to waterfalls, rivers, and to sand-duned beaches. These features is Earth's natural beauty. I'm sure where you live has the same. I would enjoy to learn something new about Sweden's natural landscape. Like in USA we have, for example, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Niagra Falls, Mount Rushmore; what can you show me? I will research any links you can provide me. Thanks bud!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a few, but not to many either, but I studied some geology etc so I met a few fellow rock nerds. lol
I have, though, infected my parents with the rocks; all got interested.

Where I live now it is quite flat and not to much interesting.
I used to live in Swedish Lappland and it has quite a lot to offer.

Sarek national park for example, you may search for it yourself. I'll just have to dig out some more.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread