Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nov 2005
    Ottumwa, Iowa

Raw Gems in the US

Anyone have info on where to hunt different gems around the country And what those gems are? I travel around alot and need a past time. Also, can anyone tell me what gems or precious metals can be found in Iowa, my home state?

Thanks

JDSCOIN

Re: Raw Gems in the US

Hello, I read your mss regarding raw gemstones.

This is a hobby that a lot of people like. I have done this a bit myself. BTW, I am in WI and so, am not all that far from Iowa.

Personally, I am not all that familiar with what kind of gemstones may be found in Iowa, but I do know that there are ways that you can find out. See if you have a local gemstone or rockhunter's club and go to one of the meetings. People there should be able to tell you all that you need to know about what you may be able to find in your area. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best regards and good luck with your hunting!

JDSCOIN

Nov 2006
    South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
    White's DFX

The Travel channel has had some great shows concerning - Rubies and Emeralds in North Carolina (search 'Hiddenite', 'Franklin, N.C.'), gold in Arizona, Black Opals in Nevada, Diamonds in Arkansas (and I thought their most valuable gem was Bill Clinton), search 'Diamond Crater State Park'. Some day I plan on making it to all of these areas, probably N.C. first.

Tourezrick
    Political Correctness - a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

us
    Aug 2005
    NH
    4 times

I want to get to Franklin county, NC myself!...rubies...sapphires....yum And there's an aquamarine mine in Bethel ( I think) Maine that I HAVE to get to, too!

I had AMAZING good luck (for me) at the Herkimer diamond mine in upstate NY...but that's kinda far for you...
    Good luck...and...keep us posted.
    When you get into a tight place and everything goes against
    you till it seems you could not hold on a minute longer,
    never give up then for that is just the place and time that
    the tide will turn.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Nov 2006
    South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
    White's DFX

Hiddenite N.C. is the location of more emerald mines - 5 gallon buckets of earth from the mine - $10 buckets, or $100 "enriched" buckets. What really looked cool was the opal mine in Nevada - black opals! My father-in-law had a friend from Australia, from a place called Coober-Peady, or something like that. An opal miner, who lived underground, in his mine, as it was too hot to live on the surface! It sure looked a lot easier to go to Nevada. There was also a place outside of San Diego for some kind of pink gemstone, the name escapes me(my life has become one long 'senior moment'). Watch the travel channel, they show the films all the time, title is something like "10 Best Places to Find Treasure in the U.S.".

Tourezrick
    Political Correctness - a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

us
    Jul 2006
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Garrett Ace 250
    6 times

ddog, There are 2 Books you need to Buy!

Fee Mining and Rockhounding Adventures in the West by James Martin Monaco & Jeannette Hathaway Monaco
    " " " " " " " East " " " " " " "

All the places you'll ever need! HH

Joe
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
                          Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!

Jul 2006
    Mountains
    1 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I really hope to go and search some of those buckets someday. My entire family will do that as our next vacation, as soon as we can afford one.

Rev

Dec 2006
    Georgia by way of Seattle

If you are coming to Georgia I can tell you about 200 locations to find gems. Lately we have been digging up facet grade dark purple Amethyst in Wilkes County. Pictures at my website and my book of collecting sites.

Jim Olson
    www.myrddinscave.com
    Still lookin' at the ground

Dec 2006
    Massachusetts
    Whites DFX and Classic III

Ahsleen, there is amethyst found at Deer Hill in Stow, ME just over the NH border. Also smoky quartz at Moat Mountain in North Conway. The Moat Mountain location is very easy to get to. Deer Hill is a short but strenuous hike. Let me know if you want some specific info.
    "No good deed goes unpunished."

us
    Jun 2006
    Clinton Twp Michigan
    Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Them gem stone guitar pics are gonna be a little hard on the strings!

Dennis
    We come into life howling and covered in blood....the fun doesn't have to stop there!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

Jan 2007
    (RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
    1 times

here's the travel channel's website to the cash&treasures program. They visited alot of gem mines, I be hitting most of these.

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/cash-...t/toolkit.html

I'm in Illinois and I find some in the excavation sites when they first tear up the land to build new developements. I've found mainly very beautiful granites and such. Some quartz crystals and pyrite as well (separate and inbedded in the granites). Geodes on occassion. Sundays are the best, because the guys aren't working.

hope this helps
    Rumblebelly
    Treasure is everywhere, calling you. You just have to find it.

Jan 2006

Old gravel pits are a good place to look in the Midwest.

Until his death 20 years ago,a friend of mine spent his summers at Murphy, N.C.,over a 20 year period he picked up a couple of gallons of sapphires from gravel roads.Most of them were pinks and grays but when cut and polished en cabochon made beautiful costume jewelry,some even showed stars.

hasbeen

Jul 2006

franklin is the place to go. got two sapphires over two hundred carats, one should make a star. wish i knew how to post pics.

Feb 2007
    western north carolina

hi im kinda new to the forum and definately new to gem mining but the saphire mine in franklin is a beautiful place to have fun i went on 5/29/07 and found a 9 carrot,17,carot,and 69 carot ruby .this is a link to their page gl to all http://www.sheffieldmine.com/ look forward to reading your posts

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    42 times

ddog

this is the only real info I could dig up on Iowa stuff.
    http://www.therockshed.com/polished4.html

Good hunting and welcome to TN

Old Dog
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors