8 Years Have Pasted

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
In 2004 I was on my aunts land located in the south eastern tip of Tennessee. Knowing that her land was a prime location for thunder eggs.. I was able to spot a few ill formed eggs.. those which the cows trampled open or broke while gracing. The hills behind her house are know for "Clear Day Lightening Strikes" and after this adventure.. I'm a believer.

Finding scraps and rough looking thunder eggs, nothing was really high quality.. except a few offers a glimpse of what could be inside. Grey crystal all over the inside of many of these ill formed stones.. and I was recently told by a earth science teacher that the grey stems from high levels of radioactivity.. (lightening strikes)

Finding a number of areas where in fact the Lightening had occurred. Burnt and chard areas and even blown apart limestone out cropping and just so happen near one of these out cropping I found this nicely formed thunder egg:

DSC_0105.jpg

Image taken in 2004 on my aunts front porch​

Months turned into years and I couldn't find anyone to cut this thunder egg in half.. Luck would have it that our bath room bit the bullet.. and thusly.. contractors had to come out and revamp the whole bath room.. but low and behold they brought a tile saw.. nice big one too..

I asked if they could cut this stone for me.. and without hesitation.. it was cut.. Mind you all along I kept telling friends and family (skeptics) what I felt was on the inside of this egg.. and no one really cared.. and after it was cut.. My assumptions were correct:

100_1414.jpg

Almost 8 years later, Image take just moments ago.​
A solid mass of grey stone layered with limestone and chalcedony.. Thou I was hoping to see a few small crystal pockets..

100_1417.jpg

Though I would have liked the stone cut length wise.. I'll never look a gift horse in the mouth.​

Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
8 yrs! that is longer than I could have waited. I've wondered about the tile saws myself, hmm I think my friend has one. I love geodes. yours is quite nice, tho I'm with you some crystal clusters would have been nice. are you going back to your aunts to hunt more?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't help but go there.. matter of fact because of our upgraded Jeep Wrangler.. I'll be driving down into that field this time and mark a few locations.. But it's not just her field. Seems TN is covered with pockets or areas where these thunder eggs are very prevalent.. Just down the street.. they built a new restaurant which they did a road cut and unearthed several ill formed "potato Thunder eggs" thou I left them on the Hill for others to find.

Upvote 0

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeep,

My sister lives off Hwy 111 between Dunlap and Soddy-Daisy on the mountain. My brother in law likes to arrow head hunt. He might be in some good area for thunder eggs. Is this area south east cornerish enough? I have never found one and would like to get some for my rock collection.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Chat.. I'd gladly send you a few samples.. Hell I'll send you the small cut we just did if you wanted it.. all you got to do is ask. But the locations your taking about is way south west of where this egg was found. Between Johnson City and Kingsport TN down towards Rogersville.. up near the lake area too.

Here are a few tips.. when traveling look for newly cut roads or roads that are under construction.. these are called "road cuts" basically where the road crew cuts away parts of a hillside to make room for the new highway.. One place I was able to check out is a Bojangles just outside Johnson City. I mean it was fresh.. new everything.. Just went searching up in the hill right by the new restaurant and found those "ill formed potatoes".. Looks more like small meadow muffins (being from the south I'm sure you know what meadow muffins are) and they were very white in color.

Your looking for fields where you see the limestone out cropping (stone jutting up out of the ground) this doesn't mean the landscape is just grass or fields.. a few rock walls could contain more then just thunder eggs.. But this is where I've found nearly 200 (mostly ill formed) just laying on the surface.

I wish I could ask you to search the land with me.. But let me check with my aunt first.. which could be in the next few months.. if I'm down that way.. I'd give you a heads up before hand so we can do some explorations, maybe hit a few gem mines in the NC mountains.

Upvote 0

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Greenville/Spartenburg area in South Carolina. I haven't been to my sister's in TN in a while. I'm working on a trip to see her and will get with my brother in law and see what we can scrounge up. You have a lot of good info. I like, I like. I've been up to Bristol a while back. Went to a wedding. Rode my motorcycle from Jacksonville, FL. Nice trip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not saying TN is a hot spot.. I mean you could be in a hot bed of rock formations in SC.. Just have to have a look.. especially in the mountains. btw.. I've got a small assortment of minerals etc for you.. and wife will find a box.. we'll send it out Fri.. I'll keep it a surprise and see if you know some of it is.. If not I'm right here, post pics and let know.

Also.. I've got these silk screens and I make small sifting trays out of them.. If you need a few screens.. I normally sell them $8.00 Small / $15.00 large.. (shipping extra) The screens can come out and be replaced with mesh from your hardware store. Psstt.. I used the metal mesh from our screen porch..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep that in mind about the screens. Thanks. I will do my detective work to see what some of it is. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chatmangreer said:
I will keep that in mind about the screens. Thanks. I will do my detective work to see what some of it is. :laughing7:

This is exciting! Chat please post pictures of everything you get. I'd love to see it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
@Chat.. Enjoy the Small assortment of stones I've found over these last few years.. Thou I wouldn't say any of them are museum quality and I'm hoping your not expecting to much in the way of shapes or sizes.. I just grabbed a few things and sent them out Fri.. You should get them in a few days.. If you need a tracking number, I'll have wife forward it to me Monday morning.

Upvote 0

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Chat.. Enjoy the Small assortment of stones I've found over these last few years.. Thou I wouldn't say any of them are museum quality and I'm hoping your not expecting to much in the way of shapes or sizes.. I just grabbed a few things and sent them out Fri.. You should get them in a few days.. If you need a tracking number, I'll have wife forward it to me Monday morning.

I'll be happy with any of it. I'll be getting a little collection of my stuff to send back at ya for a thank you........ BTW; got the tracking #.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
@Chatman.. I never Included A Return Address.. Just as well, No need to send anything anyway.. When it's time, we will hit the road one day and met up with you and others.. somewhere.

Upvote 0

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Christmas!

First I want to give a big thanks to Jeep for the goodies! Gonna get me educated on some rocks....

I might have a couple figured out but most I can't. I have a good Rock, Gem and Mineral book at home but can't seem to find it.

Bottom - Agate
Second from bottom - Common opal
Third from bottom - Halite
The rest I had a hard time figuring them out and was wanting to get the pics posted asap......

Thanks again Jeep....

Attachments

• Agate 1.JPG
    Agate 1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 112
  • Common Opal 2.JPG
    Common Opal 2.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 132
  • Halite 1.JPG
    Halite 1.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry To Disappoint you.. But I didn't include any opals.. However what I did send:

1. Emerald/Tourmaline from Hiddenite, gem mine NC
  2. Assortment, Star Ruby, Topaz, Caramel Jasper, Herkimer diamond
  3. Flint
  4. TN Thunder Egg as posted above
  5. TN Thunder Egg (ill Formed/ Cows Broke open Note the small crystal pockets)
  6. Large Caramel Jasper Found locally Eastern Shore of MD
  7. Get that one wet.. Skarn sort of a mix of several types of stones.
  8. Tourmalated Quartz.. My very first find, which got me started looking for more
  9. Yellow Calcite Crystal Caverns Sluice PA
  10. Amazonite/Smokey Quartz Morefield Mine, VA
  11. Bi-color & Watermelon Tourmaline in matrix
  12. Aquamarine Gem Mountain, NC
  13. Carnelian VACity, VA (closed)
  14. Carnelain Slice.. Given to me by another collector.. Don't worry I have more.

Although these are just small samples.. This is a variety of things one can dig for or sluice for all across the country.. at local gem mines or tourist traps.. Just be warned about colorized or heat treated stones..

Your more then welcome Chatman.. and we'll see you on the road for another adventure..

btw.. in the second pic.. the yellowish stone lower left.. Topaz.. if you can get that one cut.. would make a nice gift for the wife in a ring or pendant..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! I didn't even get my few ID right.... I am gonna work on that. I'll use the list you sent to look up and match so I will learn about them better. I will look into the Topaz being cut for a prizey for the wife.

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread