Anyone know what kind of Lake Superior agate this is?

rockhound888

Jul 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were diving in Lake Superior in the northeastern part of Minnesota and fond a large 25 Lb agate. It has some banding but more of a speckled coloration. The agate is red, purple, yellow, black, white, and clear color. It is very hard and heavy for its size. It is about 15” wide. Any idea what kind of agate this could be maybe a moss agate? I’m thinking this is an agate but because it is so large I am skeptical that it may be a Jasper? But it doesn’t look like it. Any thoughts!!

Grand Marais 7-17-2012 047.JPG Grand Marais 7-17-2012 054.JPG Grand Marais 7-17-2012 056.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a rule of thumb:
Agates are translucent.
Jaspers are opaque.

It reminds me of some agate I've seen, especially the first picture. But I don't recall the trade name they used.
redplume agate maybe they called it? Not sure, need to think about it first.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Muddywaters asked:
> You still have it?

Muddywaters, I see you joined TreasureNet just a couple of days ago. So this is intended as friendly helpful advice. Rockhound888, the poster of that "as-found" agate, made only one post at T-Net, and it was made back in 2012. So, you are highly unlikely to get an answer from him/her. (Look at the info below a poster's member-name... and also, when you are logged in, you can click on the member-name to view that person's Member Profile.)

By the way... it'd be helpful if you would add your location to your Profile info.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread