Rockhound looking for a good dig in the upstate of South Carolina

Mojo618

Aug 15, 2012
Anderson County, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 DD search coil, Garrett pin pointer, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,I'm 30yrs old. I'm from Anderson County, South Carolina. Looking to meet new friends with a common interest. So, Im calling all you ROCKHOUNDS!!

Where are you from?
Favorite rock or gem to hunt?
Feel free to add a pic of your fav find!

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it is crazy looking. I just use rocks for mine :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Darkwoods

Apr 21, 2015
South carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started rock hunting in the upstate,(sc),I know this is a old post but,its the closest post I found that may help me answer some questions about rocks I had.
I found 2 quartz crystals,and several rocks with small quartz in them,a few have mica and I think I found what looks like petrified wood...Gonna post a few photos and see if someone can tell me what kind of rocks I found..Thanks for any help,,I may create Thread to see if any others can be of help thanks again.. IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2462.JPG IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2408.JPG

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've pretty well identified what your holding. The top pics are milky quartz viens in pegmatite or feldspar, a metamorphic rock. As to petrified wood that would be uncommon for the upper part of the state. The lower piedmont is more likely for fossils though mostly sea fossils.

Upvote 0

Key Rat

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
SE Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax & Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that this is an old thread and all, but seeing that someone did post here recently, and since I just moved to Rock Hill, South Carolina area, I was wondering if there were any groups or rockhounding clubs that treasurenet members could recommend to me? I would be grateful & thank you. Also, since I am new to the area (as Mojo618 originally posted a few years ago on this thread) and don't have any friends in the area, if anyone is looking for a sidekick to either go metal detecting, prospecting, rockhounding or whatever else out here, please do let me know! I'm very outdoorsy :)

Upvote 0

jentheartist

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually just moved to the upstate of NC (by Boone) and am interested in "rockhounding" around myself... pretty new to it - but interested. I have a metal detector that I used a lot down by Wilmington when I lived there - Thought about using the detector up here too, but imagine I'd be digging through a lot of rock to get to whatever sets it off - anyone in Western NC?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread