Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
A friend found these rocks in Tellico Tennessee on the Tellico river. What do you all think might have caused them to be shaped as such. They are not real hard and slightly porous similar to sandstone or mountain stone in weight and texture. She appreciates any help you experts might provide.
Thank you and..click the pic for enlargement.
HH
TnMtns photo copy.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the holes go all the way through them?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the holes go all the way through them?

Rock. Some do and kinda look like beads. But not all of them. Tellico is a fast moving river and I was wondering if they might have been tumbled and formed?
A girl I know brought them to a cook out for me to see. Geo fact I am sure but what type of anomaly is this? Weird huh?

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
similar to glendonite concretions....something was in the hole that is no longer there. The rock formed around whatever was in the hole which is why it is in the center of the rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
similar to glendonite concretions....something was in the hole that is no longer there. The rock formed around whatever was in the hole which is why it is in the center of the rock.

Ok I am such a dummy on this stuff. It that the same thing as an ichnofossil ( Fossil of a fossil)? No all have holes though.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no not an ichnofossil....mind you I don't really know what yours are however they seem to me to be a couple of different things....first of all notice that the hole is always in the center of a round object. I am guessing the stone is some sort of sedimentary rock (like mud-stone). The hole is not man made so something or some natural process made it. Could be some worm casting but I don't think so. Probably made when, or something was present to make the hole, when the mud-stone was laid down. The "something" then weathered away by some process leaving a blank hole. It goes all the way through (the hole) because later the stones weathered into pieces...think of something like this....
images

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me to but that is a 5 gallon bucket they are in, I was hoping fossis might stop by. : (

Upvote 0

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Could these be low-fired clay cooking stones? The wet clay balls could have been air-dried on twigs before firing leaving the perforations and punctations in the dried clay. The suspension on a twig would keep the wet clay from picking up ground debris and give them maximum air exposure. Cooking stones are found in a wide variety of shapes over a vast geographic area.

Upvote 0

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very simple: Fish net weights. A common find in the Mississippi Valley region/Southeastern US

Upvote 0

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Very simple: Fish net weights. A common find in the Mississippi Valley region/Southeastern US

Maybe they are net weights, 'Thommy'. I don't have anything in my collection that I can call with certainty a net weight. Can you show us some images of your net weights?

Are your net weights of variable size overall with some holes that go all the way through and some only part way? Do the holes themselves vary greatly in diameter, some large, some small? Is the material not very hard, and porous, and of coarse texture?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could these be low-fired clay cooking stones? The wet clay balls could have been air-dried on twigs before firing leaving the perforations and punctations in the dried clay. The suspension on a twig would keep the wet clay from picking up ground debris and give them maximum air exposure. Cooking stones are found in a wide variety of shapes over a vast geographic area.

They are not pottery or clay. I am very familiar with the clay and pottery from this region. The texture is a sandstone and porous and a natural material. The shape is what baffles me. She found them in the river. I have not seen anything like it but it seems she found this bucket full in one trip. I am sure they were more so I rule out any archeology and this place floods and is very fast water with a limestone bottom. It is not far from Ocoee where the olympic white water was held. Cold trout waters.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ding! Ding! Ding!:icon_thumright:

Lol no I wish they were fish weights but I have weights from this area. Not saying they did not use them being a natural item. I will try to get some from here for some good close up. I took these at a party with an iPhone . Thanks everyone and will get a few more pictures.

Upvote 0

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Lol no I wish they were fish weights but I have weights from this area. Not saying they did not use them being a natural item. I will try to get some from here for some good close up. I took these at a party with an iPhone . Thanks everyone and will get a few more pictures.

More images would be good!

If these are not artifacts, then their origin must be geological or biological. I can think of no geological process that would produce these objects (but, geology is not an area of any special knowledge). Similarly, I can think of no biological process that would produce these things.

Perhaps it took a combination of biological AND geological processes to create these balls. Perhaps they represent fragments of in-filled invertebrate burrows which were exposed, then tumbled into these round shapes.

This last possibility reverses the more typical situation wherein the cast of the burrow is preserved as a solid mass. I am not sure how the perforations and punctations were preserved in the bucketful of balls.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found rocks (although made of different minerals) with similar round holes on the southeast coast of Florida. At first, I, too, thought the rocks might be native american fishing anchors or rocks used to create friction fires. But, I found far too many for these rocks to be man made.

I did some research and discovered that Piddock Clams burrow into rocks for shelter with the sharp edges of their shells. Although these clams are not native to my area, I would imagine other local mollusks evolved to have similar burrowing capabilities. Maybe mollusks on the Tellico River also have such capabilities . . . or maybe not--I'm certainly no expert.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. I had forgotten about this thread. I know they have some mussels and periwinkles but that is all. The river is very cold and holds trout.

Upvote 0

sukuto

Feb 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg pictures of a rock nickel size found in mcnairy county tennessee. anyone know what it is?
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions