rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every once in a while I find this type of rock. It isnt flaky at all and might be marble (maybe). I do find white quartz in the area if that helps with the ID on it and its redish brown. Found in N Ga near the mountains. Thank you, rock 100_2093.JPG 100_2094.JPG 100_2095.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you thought of rhyolite? It is difficult to even guess due to the wetted surface. It hides the lustre of the rock. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent washed it yet. I will take some dry pics of it tomorrow after I wash it. Might be a type of Chert. There is many types of chert here. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_2096.JPG 100_2097.JPG 100_1998.JPG Ok I took some dry pictures of it. Not as pretty when dry. I like red color stones and always wondered what this was. I think this arrowhead is made from the same material. Thanks, rock

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still leaning towards Rhyolite, IMO.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I've learn while on my travels, is that if the stone is left out in the weather or sunlight.. it can chage colors from dark to light etc.. The first few images I first thought it was of a Quartz based stone whcih had been left out in the stream, picking up mud, sunlight etc.. thus changing its color to the darker colors in your images above.. I still think its quartz.. but it could even be aventurine..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I've learn while on my travels, is that if the stone is left out in the weather or sunlight.. it can chage colors from dark to light etc.. The first few images I first thought it was of a Quartz based stone whcih had been left out in the stream, picking up mud, sunlight etc.. thus changing its color to the darker colors in your images above.. I still think its quartz.. but it could even be aventurine..

Thank you and I will check out that last one you said it might be. Could be quartzite I guess. I usually find them already made into Artifacts and always wondered what the stone looked like before they were altered. Thanks, rock

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quartzite tends to have a more greasy looking surface. Since its composed mainly of quartz.
If you like I can get some pics? Should have some around here.

While rhyolite also contains a lot of quartz, it is in a much finer grain size since its a rock formed from lava. :)
It's a, well, quite variable looking stone. Should have some of that around, to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In natural form it would be nice to see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up that name aventurine and it showed some polished stones in green and blue. Really nice looking stone when it is finished. Could I polish this and make jewelry out of it? Maybe break some small pieces off of it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice looking stone after it is polished. Thank you T M for your time on this.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, I forgot about the quartzite pics. Will get to that later.
It does IMO not look like red aventurine, there are no reddish mica flakes in there, or am I mistaking..?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I forgot about the quartzite pics. Will get to that later.
It does IMO not look like red aventurine, there are no reddish mica flakes in there, or am I mistaking..?

No the stone is red but the flakes are silver it looks like.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey- could you post pics of a flake or thin piece- held to the light? Everyone's really leaning to rhyolite, but I wonder if it's actually a 'Georgia rock'. Because of the light/wet surface, I nearly jumped to a quartzite- and I thought hixton (knowing that there's no way in hell it really could be unless someone traveled too far with something not worth the distance- especially when you have excellent knappable stone in GA). Your point looks so dull and flat (matte) in comaprison to the raw sample. Raw sample (wet and dry) look/appear granualr. Point doesn't. Looks more like either tired rhyolite or not-so-great chert (good chert being a rarity in your state). How does it crush? what is its weight? Can you grind down one side to see what a smoother surface looks like?
Thanks for showing and getting me thinking.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems too dark for ryholite. The bands of color in it make me think sedimentary. And it's somewhat coarse-grained...maybe a quartzose sandstone.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for everyones thoughts on it. I dont intend on breaking it though. It has been this way for hundreds of yrs and is going to stay that way. I enjoy rocks and artifacts just the way they were made. I leave them and dont alter them at all. Thanks, rock

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread