sapphires?

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi i recently bought a crusafix it weighs 34g and is 3inches long and 2 inches wide it is marked 925 js i think it is made by js creations there website is (jscreationsonline.com) anyways i took it into the jewlers and had them look at it and all she told me was that it was marked 925 silver (i already new that) and if i wanted to sell it she would give me 7.00 i refused it and asked here if the sapphires where real and she said she did not now that she was not a gemologist and that becuase there where so many of them that it was prob glass i then proceded to contact js creations with no luck i emailed them 3 times and left several messages for the manager with no luck there are 59 3mm sapphires and 1 8mm sapphire there are 3 3mm sapphires missing and a couple of chipped stones there are also it looks to be 3 light blue diamonds in the bail it looks like the stones are diamond cut but i am not sure i acid tested it and it held up to the platnium acid but i was told stainless steel could do this also. does anyone know how i could authenticate this and also tell if the gems are real and what metal it is made out of? i mean i am lost any advice would be greatly appreciated
IMAG0705.jpg IMAG0701.jpg IMAG0702.jpg IMAG0703.jpg IMAG0704.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a pawn shop they will test the stones and then offer you a price. You dont have to tell them you dont want to sell it. They have testers that will tell them if the stones are real or not. Good Luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a pawn shop they will test the stones and then offer you a price. You dont have to tell them you dont want to sell it. They have testers that will tell them if the stones are real or not. Good Luck

They have sapphire testers? Or do they just use diamond testers? My problem is that pawn shops where I live are not that trustworthy do you know where I could purchase a tester?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i have a question for you guys i took it into a pawn shop and the owner i could barley understand he said the gems are most likley sythetic anyways my question is that when i took it in it was not at all magnetic but after him rubbing it whith some crap it is now magnetic he said that its not silver but could be platinum but he had no idea my question is what was he rubbing on it and why is my crusifix now magnetic it is not all magnetic just where he was rubbing it my other question is could have me magnitized it? and does that mean its fake?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the thing he was rubbing on it looked like a stone and it was like a rusty amber color

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what he put on it. I hope you will find out your answers to your questions. I guess I should of told you not to let it out of your site while he was looking at it. Some will want to hold it for a day which isnt ok in my book. Take it to a place where they buy gold and see what they say. Just act like you want to sell it and let them look at it to tell you the price they are willing to give you on it. If it isnt real they wont want it. Good Luck, rock

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
My first thought.. the stoens are way to blue to be natural Sapphires.. I recall once when I first met my wife and she had a sapphire ring.. Jewelry told her over and over is was a "natural" stone.. but the more I looked at it and studied.. it turned out to be synthic.. Not real.. I can't say I'm an expert at iding stoens.. but I'm sure a jewelry (serverl jewelry) can help you with this.. and always compair stoen to stone.. If in fact the cross is real.. your looking at or about $10,000 big ones..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought.. the stoens are way to blue to be natural Sapphires.. I recall once when I first met my wife and she had a sapphire ring.. Jewelry told her over and over is was a "natural" stone.. but the more I looked at it and studied.. it turned out to be synthic.. Not real.. I can't say I'm an expert at iding stoens.. but I'm sure a jewelry (serverl jewelry) can help you with this.. and always compair stoen to stone.. If in fact the cross is real.. your looking at or about $10,000 big ones..

well when i took to photos i took the in the natural sunlight so you could see the blue of the gems when they are not in natural sunlight they have a greenish blueish hue i am trying to track down a jewler who knows what they are doing i have found out on the internet that if its silver then they plate it in copper then nickel then rhodium so it could be that is 925 silver just the rhodium plateing is cause a magnet to be attracted to it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are some better pics i also noticed that some of the facets are small and some are bigger anyone know why this is? i am trying to find a certified gemologist but i have heard they can charge alot to run test on gems.
IMAG0722.jpg IMAG0721.jpg

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Considering the size, 3 mm, that is close to "melee stones" which are fairly cheap. (relatively speaking)

What should bother you is if they all are next to identical in colour saturation. And maybe loupe clean.

Regarding the facets; its the cut that is designed that way.
It has several kinds of facets as to reflect light from several different angles; so you can see "sparkle" (brilliance) even when tilted.

If you really, really need to have it checked I'd contact AIGS, GIA or any other reputable gemological lab.
They can charge a bit "extra" on jewellery since the stones are set in metal.. making them difficult to check under the microscope from several directions.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread