Rockhounds in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina?

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

just went to the hogg mine... i think. the one rodney has in lagrange. anyways, yes i would love to get to GA more and NC and SC.

kind of new at this.

like your website, nice work! ill attach pics from this weekend in a few days. i live in Jacksonville, FL.
would love to learn more about this hobby if you are looking for digging buddies. my girlfriend even diggs this stuff. bonus!

later dude.

Upvote 0

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when in lagrange, try the BBQ from the gas station near the driveway...mighty fine after a days diggin'

BTW- we cleaned out the surface stuff...better take your shovel. ha ha!

let us know how you did. my pics will b posted when i get a spare 30 minutes.....

good luck,
thomas

Upvote 0

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last sat and sun, went diggin in La grange, GA.

here's some of the haul....QUARTZ. some water clear, all broken pieces, as we were surface collecting.

does anyone know how to clean the white film (mineral deposits) from the sides of the crystal?

CLR and razor blade doesnt do a thing.

thanks,
thomas

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,788
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,030
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,381
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,961
Upvote 0

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to rock collecting. I purchased my first geodes in Helen, GA and got them cut. Now I just have to get them polished up.

My question today is, is there a place in northeast Georgia, northwest South Carolina, or southwest North Carolina where the public is allowed to look for rock, or gems?

Thanks for any help!

Kevin Bozard
Ridgeland, SC

Upvote 0

TMorgan

Jun 23, 2007
You can click the following link for info on digging at the Hogg mine in Lagrange Ga. http://www.dixieeuhedrals.net/wordpress/index.php
There is also JXR in Tignall, ga. , Graves Mtn in Washington , Ga. ( you have to go as part of a large group these days), Diamond Hill mine in Atreville, SC.
There are a few places up around Helen, Ga. Most of these are salted though.
Todd

Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lamplighter36 said:
last sat and sun, went diggin in La grange, GA.

here's some of the haul....QUARTZ. some water clear, all broken pieces, as we were surface collecting.

does anyone know how to clean the white film (mineral deposits) from the sides of the crystal?

CLR and razor blade doesnt do a thing.

thanks,
thomas

Hey Thomas, long time no hear...., get you some 'oxcilic acid', add it to water (almost boiling), soak the crystals for 24 hrs,
then rinse with water, that cleans off the scale & coloration on most of them.

Fossis.............

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang I didnt know there were so many from Ga here. I collect quartz also from N Ga. Ill show you a big flat piece. These are tools used by the Indians. When you are out collecting you might be picking these up and dont even know what you have got.

Attachments

• 100_2559.JPG
    100_2559.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 1,171
  • 100_2558.JPG
    100_2558.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

Essex

May 23, 2016
North East Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Heather! I'm in North Ga too. While having done alot of indian artifact hunting, I am not very knowledgeable of some of the cool rocks I'm finding. I mean, I've found variations of them on the web but not exactly like I picked up. Sometime I'd like to hear about some of yours and compare to mine and learn if they're unique to our area. Also, not sure what part of North Georgia your in, but I would like to know if there are any good rock hounding clubs you are familiar with. Thanks, Essex

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread