Beastly Calcite Cluster

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I could not bring home the one that I say was about 4 foot around...Cause my husband buried with as a retaining wall...I snagged this one before they could get to it
030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

034.JPG

Probably put it on the dining room table as a center piece

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
First: Lets clean the stone.. which could intale a good soaking in warm water for several days if not weeks. Then lets try dawn foam and a tooth bruch. I use this technequic often when cleaning my stones.. As a last resort, if the stones are small enough, you can use a tumbler/jewley cleaner to gently vibe the dirt off the stones.. Also.. Might try to clean away soem of the excess bagage (unusable areas) of the stone so the eye can focus on the crystal points.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice find. I would probably display it too. Wish the pics were better?
I took those early morning on the day I found it...Sun hadn't been up long so has a yellowing look...and the fact I was shivering to the bone didn't help me hold the camera still any better lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
First: Lets clean the stone.. which could intale a good soaking in warm water for several days if not weeks. Then lets try dawn foam and a tooth bruch. I use this technequic often when cleaning my stones.. As a last resort, if the stones are small enough, you can use a tumbler/jewley cleaner to gently vibe the dirt off the stones.. Also.. Might try to clean away soem of the excess bagage (unusable areas) of the stone so the eye can focus on the crystal points.
I started soaking it yesterday in the garden tub with hot water and denture cleaner so the fizz could get in all the nooks and crannies...right now I am soaking it water again to get the cleaner off and tonight I am going to soak it again...will do so till it is clean...I thought about busting off the crust but was worried but doing small amounts at a time should be ok?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm wondering what the host rock is. Looks like a silica-rich (quartz-rich) rock.
Looks like there is some quartz crystals in there to. Keep an eye out for fluorite when seeing calcite like this. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wondering what the host rock is. Looks like a silica-rich (quartz-rich) rock.
Looks like there is some quartz crystals in there to. Keep an eye out for fluorite when seeing calcite like this. :)

The host rock is driving me insane...I see it all over where we are working but not every one has crystals on it...I can easily scratch it with my fingernail and it is almost like chalk...The other rocks around are agate and chert...also what I named sponge quartz lol white milky color looks like a sponge like the ones I posted a while back and also finding brown ones which I posted few days ago with tiny crystals.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The host rock is driving me insane...I see it all over where we are working but not every one has crystals on it...I can easily scratch it with my fingernail and it is almost like chalk...The other rocks around are agate and chert...also what I named sponge quartz lol white milky color looks like a sponge like the ones I posted a while back and also finding brown ones which I posted few days ago with tiny crystals.

The host rock, I think is the brownish stuff on the top of this image:
702700d1353417444-beastly-calcite-cluster-031.jpg

Shouldn't be able to scratch that with a finger nail.

Gypsum though can be found in such an area, I suppose, and it can be scratched with your finger nail.
Is slowly dissolved in water, if it is gypsum.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
It puts me in mind of grey chalk just a little harder but I can scratch it with my nail...That was a picture took before I washed off all the red clay dirt...I will post another of it as clean as I can get it when it is done soaking.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread