Rock hunting question?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Nov 2006
    Central Illinois
    Whites Eagle II SL 90
    9 times

Rock hunting question?

I live in east central Illinois. Would like to start rock hunting with my 5 year old daughter. What kind of rocks can i look forward to finding, and also is there any semi-precious stones i can expect to find? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TreasureTales

Re: Rock hunting question?

coinman66 you may want to start with your local library and see if there are any books available pertaining to your local rocks, gems, minerals, fossils, and geology. From there you might find a rockhounding guide to the area. OR, contact a local rockhound club and ask them for info. A good place to start online might be www.rockngem.com or your state geologist's website, if you have a state geologist. It should be fun for your daughter, wishing you good luck.

Nov 2006
    Central Illinois
    Whites Eagle II SL 90
    9 times

Thanks Treasure Tales i will give it a shot! Thanks

se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
    2105 times
    Prospecting

I can almost certain say that you'll find quartz, as it is a common mineral.
    And another tip:
    if there is MUCH quartz there MAY be gold present to, as there are almost equal forces required to create both, also copper is (sometimes) associated with gold and other precious minerals.
    www.webmineral.com is a good link for mineral id.
    http://www.minerals.net/mineral/sort...ak/streak1.htm tells wich minerals leave wich streak
    hope it helps
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

Sponsored Links