What the heck did I just find?

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0401 (800x600).jpg IMG_0402 (800x600).jpg IMG_0403 (800x600).jpg IMG_0404 (800x600).jpg IMG_0405 (800x600).jpg IMG_0407 (800x600).jpg IMG_0411 (800x600).jpg IMG_0412 (800x600).jpg IMG_0421 (800x600).jpg IMG_0425 (800x600).jpg I live in Virginia and the soil here is red clay. I dug up this weird rock in my back yard and have no idea what it might be. It's black and glassy and smooth on some sides. It also looks as if it has some air pockets and some goldish tinting to it. It's about the size of a softball, but it's not that heavy as if it were made of iron. I don't live near any mountains and this is just weird. Not sure if it's a meteorite. I put a magnet to it and felt just the slightest attraction if not at all. Hopefully someone can help me ID this. Thanks for looking.

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
I swear that is what people do to me. Throw rocks and such on my property because I am told those are not local to me so I think maybe it is from years ago when a somewhat close volcano erupted and it made its way near us. I do not know exactly where you are at but I looked up and noticed the volcanoes in VA. The active as they said are to the north near the W.VA border.

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bottle that has been struck by lightning???? Just a suggestion.

This is not a joke, I have found bottles after they have been struck and they look strikingly similar to your pictures ...

Upvote 0

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm from Delaware. And have property right near Harper's Ferry WV. I assure you, there has been volcanic activity in this region. Mole hill in Harrisonburg is a now dromant volcano and is the youngest in the area , coming in at the very young age of only 47 million years old, from what I've just read on wikipedia. So that piece is at least that old. Nice find. Get it carved into something. Or just set it on the mantle as is.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No a good sign of slag is the bubbles. But it does show in some other types of stone also.

Upvote 0

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No a good sign of slag is the bubbles. But it does show in some other types of stone also.
Yeah bubbles...but this thing has obvious voids and holes. without fractures of cracks. Not the vitrification signs of a byproduct of a manufacturing process IMHO. But I could be wrong. I have been before.

Upvote 0

Rattlehead

Dec 16, 2010
Byron Center, MI
Go to my site: Spheremaker.com (not a shameless plug, but I probly have the most pictures of slag around)
Type in "slag" in the search at the top
Look at all the pictures. I find tons of it in Lake Michigan and have dug it up also. Some of it may have some iron ore traces or actually pieces in it. It shines like the glass it is when polished. I make spheres and jewelry out of it. The quality varies and can be quite interesting both good and bad.

***History of slag glass****
Slag Circa 1875-1900 - This unique material, part stone, part glass, is an industrial by-product from the short lived days refining iron ore in Northern Michigan along the Great Lakes. The ores, which were mined in the Upper Peninsula, were sent down state by freighter to the new smelters.

Here, it was believed, grew an unlimited supply of hardwood forests needed to make the charcoal for the blast furnaces. The ore was melted at extremely high temperatures in the huge furnaces and the 'pig' iron was separated from the slag which was dumped in Lake Michigan. The smelters lasted only a few decades due to the fact that the forests for miles around were clear cut to make charcoal and the operation became too expensive.

Today, the lucky beachcomber may still find these gems, varying in color from black, green, purple, and most rarely, blue.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling this is more than slag. I examined this closer and found that if you look at the pics...second row, picture on the left...it is clearly cut at a 90 degree angle. The top of this rock is completely smooth and flat and if you place your hand on it, like palming a ball, your fingers fit perfectly in the grooves on the rock. It has been clearly "worked" and it shows. This might actually be some native american artifact for skinning? I'm almost certain, but not 100% sure, but this is more than just a rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling this is more than slag. I examined this closer and found that if you look at the pics...second row, picture on the left...it is clearly cut at a 90 degree angle. The top of this rock is completely smooth and flat and if you place your hand on it, like palming a ball, your fingers fit perfectly in the grooves on the rock. It has been clearly "worked" and it shows. This might actually be some native american artifact for skinning? I'm almost certain, but not 100% sure, but this is more than just a rock.

The rock is very coarse and rough on the bottom. Would this be a type of artifact for skinning or some other purpose? It has been tooled. There are clear markings of this.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen these in may areas. From the pictures it looks to be slag. A byproduct from smelting iron ore.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with those rough holes and pits in it? Slag glass is usually free of those kinds of voids and pretty much a solid blob of melted glass isn't it?

....I have dealt with tons of obsidian,and have never seen anything similar to this ....I have seen exact glass slag though....actually bought a piece that looked like Jolly Rancher Apple green to knap...wish I would have kept some of the finished products

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread