What the heck did I just find?

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0401 (800x600).jpg IMG_0402 (800x600).jpg IMG_0403 (800x600).jpg IMG_0404 (800x600).jpg IMG_0405 (800x600).jpg IMG_0407 (800x600).jpg IMG_0411 (800x600).jpg IMG_0412 (800x600).jpg IMG_0421 (800x600).jpg IMG_0425 (800x600).jpg I live in Virginia and the soil here is red clay. I dug up this weird rock in my back yard and have no idea what it might be. It's black and glassy and smooth on some sides. It also looks as if it has some air pockets and some goldish tinting to it. It's about the size of a softball, but it's not that heavy as if it were made of iron. I don't live near any mountains and this is just weird. Not sure if it's a meteorite. I put a magnet to it and felt just the slightest attraction if not at all. Hopefully someone can help me ID this. Thanks for looking.

wlb7718

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old iron furnace on my property and have truck loads of that crap on my property .....its slagg. the air pockets are from the coke burning up in limestone and that's what is left over melted limestone and coke. we find some thats more rock looking than glass looking. but they use limestone and sand in the old iron furnaces so you get glass. and then the coke makes the air pockets when it burns out. I had a guy from the historical society come looking for my iron furnace to document it and he told me that when I asked him what it was. he also said it was common for workers to throw garbage like glass bottles from lunch in the furnace as well. if anybody interested in iron furnaces here is the stuff the guy posted on his site about the one on my property. Union 1 Furnace

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Fred Flintstone's bowling ball? :laughing7:...it is interesting looking. I have lots of obsidian here, doesn't look anything like mine though. But of course there's probably many different kinds that I'm not aware of. I can't tell from the pictures, are there conical fractures on the broken parts, obsidian has that. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Upvote 0

Windburry

Greenie
Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it hasn't been answered, that is called "slag." It is a by-product from smelting iron

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely obsidian. I've been digging it since I was six years old, mostly at Glass Butte in Oregon. How it got there is a mystery, but I found a handful of apache tears in the gutter of a busy street in Berkeley, so stuff travels!

Upvote 0

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I just moved from Virginia this September... before I left I went their aquarium and history museum. They stated that the largest recorded astroid hit and made Chesapeake bay, debris field was enormous. This peice might be a remnant from it?

Upvote 0

Windburry

Greenie
Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would put my life on the line if it came down to it, I'm completely certain that this is 100% SLAG. I have some and I can post the photos if necessary.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Rocky77....I live where there is Obsidian everywhere....I'm not seeing any "conchoidal fractures" in your piece...of course it's just a picture, you'll have to look and see if there are any? If not, it's probably just slag maybe....this is what you should look for... conchoid_fracture.jpg RSCN3565.JPG

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron slag can have conchoidial fracture ,it is esentialy a glass,just like obsidian, .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread