Hidden treasures

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

I spent some time recently going through some of my rougher finds and decided to cut a few of them open to see what might be hidden inside. I did not have huge expectations for these. However, I am very happy with what was revealed and thought I would share.

These are all fairly small (around 1 inch).

This one showed just a hint of water-level banding on the outside before cutting.
Agate-PinkWhiteInBrownOut-Img_1698SS.jpg

This one just looked like an orange ball of chalcedony before cutting it open. It is hard to tell from the photo, the white eyes all lie on a layer inside and so the white circles you see mostly are inside the rock which is quite transparent.
Agate-RedWhiteBubbles-Img_1695SS.jpg

This one was ground rather than cut and showed just a hint of red and white. I was not sure if I was going to gain anything or loose the little bit of color when I started grinding.
Agate-RedLoop-Img_1696SS.jpg

This one made me real happy. It is the largest of the group and judging from the surface I thought it was just a quartz ball. To think this was in my "junk" box.
Agate-RedGrayTri-Img_1684SS.jpg Agate-RedGrayTri-Img_1694SS.jpg

I felt these were pretty enough to share. I hope you enjoy.

Happy hunting,
Eric

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Very nice work. The different colors in the agates is beautiful.
I like the carnelion with the white spots the best.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed looking at those. You did a great job with them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am glad you enjoy these. I can't really take credit for these though. Mother nature is the true artist and deserves full credit. :)

Happy hunting,
Eric

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

I spent some time recently going through some of my rougher finds and decided to cut a few of them open to see what might be hidden inside. I did not have huge expectations for these. However, I am very happy with what was revealed and thought I would share.

These are all fairly small (around 1 inch).

This one showed just a hint of water-level banding on the outside before cutting.
View attachment 790043

This one just looked like an orange ball of chalcedony before cutting it open. It is hard to tell from the photo, the white eyes all lie on a layer inside and so the white circles you see mostly are inside the rock which is quite transparent.
View attachment 790056

This one was ground rather than cut and showed just a hint of red and white. I was not sure if I was going to gain anything or loose the little bit of color when I started grinding.
View attachment 790045

This one made me real happy. It is the largest of the group and judging from the surface I thought it was just a quartz ball. To think this was in my "junk" box.
View attachment 790046 View attachment 790047

I felt these were pretty enough to share. I hope you enjoy.

Happy hunting,
Eric

All nice gemstones! Question, I have a decent collection of specimen's which i'd like to post occasionally, is there an off-the-shelf webcam that will show
color and detail like your pics? I don't want to get into photography, just post some nice pics.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All nice gemstones! Question, I have a decent collection of specimen's which i'd like to post occasionally, is there an off-the-shelf webcam that will show
color and detail like your pics? I don't want to get into photography, just post some nice pics.

Hi Fullpan,

I do not know of a good web cam for taking good still shots. A better bet would probably be a digital camera with macro capability (ability to focus close up) and a tripod. For my pics I used a DSLR with a macro lens - which would probably be overkill for what you want if you do not want to get in to photography. I also did some rough level adjustments using Gimp (a free photo editor) which can help bring out the colors. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. It would be great to see your specimens.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be doing a happy dance, & going back to find more.

That is about what I did. I am always looking (when there is no snow cover - what a late spring here, we had snow in to early May). Even when I'm working on my gardens I'm looking for agates (and finding them!). :)

Upvote 0

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
beautiful, those orange colors are sweet.

we have Agate pass here in Washington, its a boat (ferry) ride to get to. I want to go walk the beaches and find some goodies at low tide.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread