Possibly a diamond?

TeamNugget

Mar 31, 2013
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, old school out of date.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doing a little panning today and this beautiful thing caught me eye. Sorry about the garnets in the pic too, couldn't get the camera to focus right with just the... Stone in the frame.

DSCN0153.JPG DSCN0154.JPG DSCN0155.JPG

I tried to get different angles.

It was found with garnets, rubys, magnetite and gold. Tests: cuts glass and wine bottles, tested it on a metal ******* file, messed up my file. :BangHead:
Location: ummmm... South Carolina, you Really don't wanna know where.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always listen to EU. Try the Beryl family. Never discard anything once you think you have identified it. You may come back a year later after learning much more and might be surprised to find it is something completely different. I recently did this with some sapphires. Let the material sit around for 2 months as I learned more about it. Bam! Found a boat load more that weren't so obvious. Same with my benitoite material. I'm starting to upload my finds on youtube: Erik Lee - YouTube .

Upvote 0

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
TeamNugget, Research the area your a panning in, is there or was there any Chromite (Chromium) Mining History. Any Lamprophyre Pipes or Formations. Chromite occurs in Mafic Rock like Ancient Lavas that formed on the bottom of Ocean Beds in Strataform & Podiforms, Chromite is BLACK, Forms in Lamprophyre & Kimberlite (Crater of Diamonds, Arkansas for instance)...Ruby & Saffire is Corundum and is found in Chromite formations as well, Pyrope Garnet is a Indicator for Diamonds. Diamonds are found in Chromite as well, also PLATINUM. Dan Hausel has found multitudes of areas in Wyoming and has multiple websites for research. Research is 80 percent of the Finding........DON'T GIVE UP.....All Applied Sciences including Geology is a "science" and all of them have been proven over the years to be not EXACT in their findings, Dan Hausel proved that when he made his finds and I'm doing the same thing in my neck of the woods which has been over ran with prospectors since the California Mission Period on up to the present, everybody and his brother has walked over FORTUNES!...DON'T GIVE UP......Good Luck, Darrell

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I guess I have the answer, Not glass. :) Doesn't glow under UV light. I think rough diamonds do, haven't found anything that says either and or. Diamond Selector II set on 2 hits a 7-8, just can't quite get that beep. SOOOOOOO.... its prolly just some purdy quartz.

Oh well, I did learn a lot this week tho. Maybe someday I'll find a real diamond.
Only about 30% of diamonds fluoresce under UV light. I do think you're right about it being quartz. Learn to do an accurate SG test. For that, you need a good digital scale...about $150, or a little less. The more tools you have, the better job you'll do sorting out the good stuff. Appearance, hardness, color, and SG tell you alot.
Jim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread