Need Help ID Black Rock

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Found this rock on a top overpass bridge above an interstate freeway (a lil risky but I got it lol). Any ideas? Basalt in Oklahoma? Weight is 299 grams. A bit heavy for its size and attracts a magnet. Looks busted up a bit. Been seeing this rock for awhile driving to & from work. A bit curious what it is. I see some rust spots as well. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-2351557354.jpg
    image-2351557354.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 148

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the size of the crystals, are they visible under a magnifying glass? If crystals are coarse grained then it could be a intrusive rock called gabbro that formed below the crust. Basalt is fine grained and extrusive, being formed above the crust. Looks like yours has vesicles (cavities) also. I think its basalt from the picture provided. You found this on an overpass really? It could have fell out of the back of a dump truck b/c basalt does have uses in construction and groundwork.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oklahoma Digger

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Depending on the size of the crystals, are they visible under a magnifying glass? If crystals are coarse grained then it could be a intrusive rock called gabbro that formed below the crust. Basalt is fine grained and extrusive, being formed above the crust. Looks like yours has vesicles (cavities) also. I think its basalt from the picture provided. You found this on an overpass really? It could have fell out of the back of a dump truck b/c basalt does have uses in construction and groundwork.

Yes, I can a bunch of them under mag glass. Thx bmartin...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread