Took almost an hour to dig this one out!

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
ForumRunner_20130625_135738.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135808.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135842.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135912.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135944.png

Gonna have fun busting this one up!

Are there good methods of cracking rocks open to see what's inside without ruining the contents or is it mostly a roll of the dice?

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you had gotten that big rock outta' the way you could have dug up that hose in half the time!

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are you breaking it to see if there is gold in it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gentleart

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
That would be a definite plus, but I'm also breaking open flint and Iron geodes to see what is inside. I would like to eventually take some classes, but I just moved back to NC and haven't found a job yet, so I can't afford tuition and books.

Upvote 0

Jhaddad8

Jan 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tile saws are actually quite cheap and are often used to cut rocks in half and what not. You can also use a chisel to cut a line across the top of the rock and then it will split fairly clean along the cut.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tile saws are actually quite cheap and are often used to cut rocks in half and what not. You can also use a chisel to cut a line across the top of the rock and then it will split fairly clean along the cut.

How thick of a rock will the tile cutter do?

Upvote 0

Jhaddad8

Jan 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure, not surprisingly, bigger saws cost more and can cut thicker rock. I have heard of cutting up to about 3in using relatively cheap saws.

Upvote 0

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
How thick of a rock will the tile cutter do?
it won't... they are mostly score and break, unless it is a wet diamond saw that is....

Looks like gold bearing quartz, could be, has the right markings, it's a crap shoot, and there could be fine gold in to to boot which would require crushing and panning to get...

Go buy a rock hammer they are cheap and bust her open.. but be sure to wear your safety gear and put it someplace you can recover all the fragments... Once opened have a look with a good lens and let us know if you find anything....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gentleart

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
My grandmother's tile cutter is one you use with water and has a diamond blade. It is so heavy that I can barely move it.

Maybe I should get a mask. I have safety glasses.

Can I slice it up to make wire wrapped jewelry? If so, can I just clean the pieces up with water?

Do people make arrowheads out of this kind of quartz?

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother's tile cutter is one you use with water and has a diamond blade. It is so heavy that I can barely move it.

Maybe I should get a mask. I have safety glasses.

Can I slice it up to make wire wrapped jewelry? If so, can I just clean the pieces up with water?

Do people make arrowheads out of this kind of quartz?
Indians made arrowheads with it but most modern point makers wont use quartz. It is just too hard to make a point with quartz is what I have been told. Find some flint or chert in good sizes and then you will get some attention from some knappers. Im still looking for big pieces without fractures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
I can get flint easily, but I don't know what chert is.

What state do you live in?
Volcanic glass, when flecked by someone that knows what they are doing can be as sharp as a surgeons schapel...
Will tend to look like glass when it has been broken, Quartz as it has been said is very hard and does not like to fleck at all...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions