white agate?

1bear

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I recently found this on the sea shore, is it white agate or quartz maybe?...
Thanks from Scotland :) kam2 014.JPG kam2 015.JPG kam2 015.JPG
1 bear

nomad1

Feb 17, 2013
Southaven, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like agate, try breaking it open or better yet cut it open if you have a wet saw. I use the same kind of saw that tile cutters use.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello

I recently found this on the sea shore, is it white agate or quartz maybe?...
Thanks from Scotland :) View attachment 828918 View attachment 828919 View attachment 828919
1 bear
All agate is is microcrystaline quartz. The crystal structure is smaller, and denser, so the rock is heavier, and stronger. Generally agate has lines, or inclusions inside that give it character. Yours looks like some agate, with a shell of regular quartz covering part of it.
Jim

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
It's really hard to tell due to the years of abuse (sea salt and shells) hitting up aginst it. Thou I've spoken with a woman from your area ( I was hoping it was you whom came over from tumblr) anyway she has great images of her finds and all just a step outside her door.. seems her side of the beach is covered with some sort of agate fragments.. If i can gather up her name I'll forward it to you I'm sure you both could be great huntting buddies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions