Lake Michigan agates?

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While visiting family in Michigan last month, I took some time to rock hunt in Lake Michigan (St. Joe/Benton Harbor area). I found the usual basalt, slate, quartz, and granite, but these two have me stumped. I'd really like them to be agates, but I'm not familiar enough to make a positive identification. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I think the picture will enlarge if clicked on (new to this site, so sorry if that's common sense :) ).

Rock #1-thinking this could be a conglomerate (puddingstone?). It has a few large pieces of quartz, the black maybe basalt? Has some translucent banding and the yellow and red colors are more of a stain on the rock. The pitted and fractured areas have crystals.

ag1.JPG ag2.JPG ag3.JPG

Rock #2-this one is very dull when dry (first two pix), but has a nice orange and grey/blue color when wet (last pic). Thinking one area is jasper with a white & orange/brown banding beside it. Most of the rock looks to be chalcedony. Also has translucent banding in several areas.

ag4.JPG ag5.JPG ag6.JPG

Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot from this site!
Heather Brown

nomad1

Feb 17, 2013
Southaven, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi hbrown22,
Looks like you have some neat samples. If you can cut them or have them cut I think you will be very pleased with what you have found. I do see some jasper and agate.

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both look to have very good potential for slabbing and polishing. You have a choice - either pay twenty bucks or so to a lapidary to cut and polish, or
forever wonder about the hidden beauty inside. If you decide on the first choice, please post the results here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hbrown22

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies. Not having much luck finding a local lapidary. I start a geology class this coming Fall term, maybe I can do it in one of my labs.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. I likie the 1st one! The 2nd one might be quartz with river polish on it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread