Multiple found… pyrite crystal

cds7189

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only for sure say this is iron pyrite crystal but fill pretty confident it is some type of a fossil. I posted in this form because I don’t know for sure what I’m looking at. Found in lime stone and located because of rust colored staining bleeding from location. There are multiple still in the line stone and I’ve only removed this one.
It looks to be a group of 6 heavily oxidized, round or ball like figures fused together with four intact and 2 broken, exposing what looks like pyrite crystal formation. I’ve see pictures of iron pyrite in fossils but can’t determine what these roundish figures are. The picture of the small pieces are from a section that broke loose. The picture of the one still in the lime stone is one of many still in this location. Anyone have an idea?

Attachments

• First.JPG
    First.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 103

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only for sure say this is iron pyrite crystal but fill pretty confident it is some type of a fossil. I posted in this form because I don’t know for sure what I’m looking at. Found in lime stone and located because of rust colored staining bleeding from location. There are multiple still in the line stone and I’ve only removed this one.
It looks to be a group of 6 heavily oxidized, round or ball like figures fused together with four intact and 2 broken, exposing what looks like pyrite crystal formation. I’ve see pictures of iron pyrite in fossils but can’t determine what these roundish figures are. The picture of the small pieces are from a section that broke loose. The picture of the one still in the lime stone is one of many still in this location. Anyone have an idea?

It's pyrite or marcasite with a radial growth pattern. What is called a "pyrite or marcasite sun".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cds7189

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian,

I do believe you are right. Could this be a cluster of Marcasite nodules? Is that the same thing? There are several in the limestone in this small area.
Again I thank you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread